PDA

View Full Version : Painting lexan on the outside

ecoli
10-01-2008, 12:25 PM
So I bought Kev's Subaru brat (just what I need, another project!), but am planning on changing the paint colour. I don't want to bother with the hassle of stripping the paint on the inside, so plan on painting the outside of it instead. However, I want to have a gloss finish to it. In my experience, most of the lexan paints look relatively flat, it's the lexan itself that gives the shine. Any tips for doing this? Is there a clear gloss paint for lexan?

Thanks guys!

vonclod
10-01-2008, 05:22 PM
house of colours makes lexan friendly paint now in a rattle can..one of my lhs brought it in..i,m pretty sure there was a clear coat available..i,m sure it can be done simpler than that though..by simpler i mean you probably dont have to track that specific stuff down..if you use regular lex paint as a base you may have more options as the clear wont have to bind to the lexan, just the base coat..i usuall just experiment ..most of the time it works out:rock:..i usually save the trimming from bodies to experiment on

BCCrawlerZ
10-15-2008, 09:04 PM
The easy solution is to paint the outside with a Lexan paint first.. Let that dry really well and then paint on any spray paint in any color you want.. And you can even use a regular clear coat over it as well.. Ive done this several times and it works awesome!

UNGLEWD
10-15-2008, 09:19 PM
I prefer Parma Fascolor.
It's very similar to other Acrylic Enamel products that I've always used for custom automotive paint jobs. It's very easily used just like any other Base/Clear setup and much like the previous suggestions can be covered by mose clear coats.
Best part of all it's far less toxic and can be spyayed through your airbrush (even a cheap one), flash dried with a hair dryer between coats...far better control than a spray can. Then you can mix your own colors too!

For the RC stuff I find that for a moderate Clear finish that dries in 10 minutes...Give it the Krylon touch.
Whichever clear you choose always fog on a few coats and let it set up good, this wqill help prevent it from biting into the base.

ALWAYS SPRAY TEST PANELS!!!!