PDA

View Full Version : Minor issue with my new Novak Fifty Five motor

ForkliftJeff
09-19-2008, 07:46 PM
I threw in my new Novak FiftyFive motor last week and noticed that it makes a clicking noise in reverse. Sounds like the brushes chattering or something. Has anyone else had this happen? Do you have to break in the motor? I've got brush seating compound I use for big forklift dc motors, is there something similar in the scale world?

Ax-hole
09-19-2008, 08:16 PM
Are you shure its the brushes and not the pinion set screw hitting the spur? Can you flip the brushes 180 degrees and see if it clicks goin forward?

ForkliftJeff
09-19-2008, 08:22 PM
Pinion screw is ok, I'll try flipping the brushes and see what happens a little later. Now that I think of it I think it made that sound before I installed it. I've always got to spin the motors before I install them. Just a nervous twitch or something.

colonelangus
09-19-2008, 08:49 PM
they all do that the first one i got i bitched to novak and sent it to them ..got it back with an explanation of why its normal and not to worry about..basically they said its the angle of the brushes and is in no way warrentyable..they also said if broken in it will reduce or eliminate it altogether..i ran my last one in a few days ago and its almost silent..i have an ax with a flipped tranny so in forwards mine clicks and it sounds gross ..its almost totally gone a few more packs it will be gone for sure..just hook it up and set your throttle to 1/4 or so and let it run ..

ForkliftJeff
09-19-2008, 10:34 PM
Cool, I have an old charger that can be used to break in motors. I'll try it in the morning.

ForkliftJeff
09-20-2008, 11:47 AM
Thanks colonel. I didn't bother with the old charger cause the motor is soldered to the esc and didn't want to damage anything. I just set the truck on a stand and let it go for about 10 mins and it already made a big difference.