PDA

View Full Version : How to Dye Wheels

UNGLEWD
08-06-2008, 05:26 PM
This may be comon knowledge around the race course but until a few weeks back it was news to me. Thought I'd share my findings and let you know a few of the details/results.
The Dye...
http://www.crawlcanada.com/articles/tutorials/dye/rit_1.jpg
Found a basic selection of colors in the following stores:
Fabricland, Wallmart, Superstore, No Frills, Safeway, SaveOn Foods, Shoppers...you get the idea. All prices were around $2

What you need:
- 1 large pot for boiling (Either use a Pyrex pot or a metal one that you can throw away, the Dye is poisonous so preparing food is no longer an option)
- Spoon (an old one for this too!)
- 1 Package of Rit Dye
- metal tongs
- Nylon Dyable Wheels
- Timer

What I did:
Ok based on several instructions I found online, I brought about a litre of tap water in a medium size pot to a boil, then reduced the temperature to about 8. I dumped in about 3/4 of a package of Rit dye and made sure it was mixed/disolved. Using the timer I set it to 1 minute and placed 1 wheel into the pot. I removed it at the 1 minute mark and placed on paper towel to cool. The wheel will look a bit light when it first comes out but when it cools and dries it gets darker. The best part is that you can repeat this process as much as you need to.

In the end a pure white Traxxas wheel took 2 minutes in total to turn completely black. After they cooled I gave them a good wash in the sink to rinse off any excess dye. That's it they turned out amazing, shiny and pure black!

http://www.crawlcanada.com/articles/tutorials/dye/rit_2.jpg

A few notes:
- If you plan on reducing the wheels remember that the dye will NOT penetrate CA Glue, so dye them first then reduce after.
- There is no problem with CA sticking to the wheel after the Dye dries as this process doesn't change the properties of the nylon, just color
- This same technique can be used on crome wheels also to achieve a color anodized look too.

Give it a try, it's easy!

Tired
08-07-2008, 01:02 PM
Great tip. Kev, that is something I haven't tried yet, but I think the new Slash is gonna need a narrowed wheel in black just like that....:)

They look great! Lots of good info too about what to use...

What about smells, some guys have some partners with big aversion to odd smells?

UNGLEWD
08-07-2008, 05:13 PM
Ya know there were no smells to worry about just a voice in the background saying "your not wearing white shorts when your dying those!" :laugh:
I realy couldn't beleive how easy this was and how good the quality of the finish was.
I can't wait to try this on crome parts to make "black Chrome" stuff.

Here's a pic of a narrowed front tire that the dye didn't penetrate the CA, always dye first glue later.
http://www.crawlcanada.com/articles/tutorials/dye/rit_3.jpg

After you try it Mike, let us know your findings and we'll add to the thread.

ecoli
08-20-2008, 12:55 PM
I've dyed wheels and other parts several times. A few findings/tips:

1. You can dye lighter coloured wheels darker, but not the other way around.
2. RIT dye comes in liquid too. I like working with this a bit better, a little less messy and easier to measure.
3. RIT dye does not come out of anything it dyes....EVER! I haven't done it, but I know people who have permanently dyed countertops. Not sure if they're married any more :D
4. You can "re-dye". If after you've pulled out your wheel and you don't have the colour you like after washing and drying (i.e. not dark enough), just go through the process again.
5. Colours can be mixed to basically give you endless options. However, RIT dye comes in about 100 different colours. I usually went with black!