PDA

View Full Version : Getting Moss to Grow

UNGLEWD
07-03-2008, 08:53 PM
Thought this may be handy for you backyard buildoff folks.
Martina found this for me the other day because I'm trying to simulate a kinda tropical rainforest environment and want moss between and on my rocks.

A rolling stone gathers no moss!
Here's how to give a rock or statue an old-fashioned mossy patina.

1. With a metal brush, lightly scratch and clean the surface. (This makes small crevices where moss will take hold.)

2. Mix up a moist paste of one quart buttermilk or plain yogurt, one pint composted manure, and one pint pulverized wood-land moss. Brush the mixture on as if you were icing a cake.
I know all of you fellas have iced a cake!!!! Liars!

3. Ideal location...outdoors in a cool, moist, shady spot. Keep it moist by misting it or using a fine hose spray as needed. In a few weeks, the moss should grow into the crevices. If it smells a little odd at first, be patient. The aroma should go away as the moss spreads

Good Luck!

Tired
07-07-2008, 08:23 PM
That's awesome, Kev. might try that one out just for fun......:bowdown:

UNGLEWD
07-10-2008, 08:38 AM
I'm hoping to give some a try this week, I've been told it reaks for a short while but may be worth it?

tozrovr
04-02-2012, 02:59 PM
Your recipe is perfect! I used to use this when I was a stone mason and folks didn't want things looking new.

UNGLEWD
04-10-2012, 08:55 AM
Yeah it works quite well and really helps loose that "hey look at me I'm new" look.

tozrovr
04-10-2012, 06:13 PM
:biggthumpup:
Nothing screams nouveaux riche more than clean rocks.:laugh:

Yeah it works quite well and really helps loose that "hey look at me I'm new" look.

pardonmyn00b
04-11-2012, 07:54 AM
Cool! I might give it a try. I bet it would taste good on a sandwich too.

tozrovr
04-12-2012, 07:37 PM
Cool! I might give it a try. I bet it would taste good on a sandwich too.

Of course it would ..my original recipe actually says, "add wood and dirt to taste " so you'd go lighter on the wood and maybe kick the poo up a notch...