PDA

View Full Version : Painting Sidewalls:Colouring Raised Lettering

matt c
04-10-2013, 03:06 PM
I've been seeing this around. Just thought I'd share some details on how I did it.

Testors paint, little glass containers. Stir it up, but keep it a bit thicker. Pour a little in the lid. Dab a toothpick into the paint and start dotting the raised lettering. It spreads a bit, and ends up making short work of it. I rubbed the side of the toothpick along the raised redline. Scraped off most of the bleeding with a hobby knife or clean tooth pick. Oh and the lettering looks a bit sketchy because it is written in old English text. The paint flows to the edges really well.

Also some flat black on the wheel lip to increase the rubber sidewall profile. In the picture it's still a bit wet.

Please comment with your own tricks and tips! Thanks for looking.

http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/ac126/MathewDMC/image_zps3e195483.jpg

matt c
04-10-2013, 05:51 PM
I also took the same technique and did some free-hand. Made my own tire brand 5TEVEN after my son Steven.

http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/ac126/MathewDMC/photo_zps9e196380.jpg

Wrencher
04-10-2013, 08:08 PM
those look pretty good. wasn't it Tamiya that used to make pens for painting rubber? haven't seen them in years. I have some for doing motorcycle tires but the tip is huge. this trick will work awesome. will the testors stay stuck to the rubber?

matt c
04-10-2013, 08:30 PM
Will it stay stuck to the rubber? The durability doesn't seem to be there. It's waterproof, but not so scrape and rub proof. It takes a good rub to get it off. Um. For a lack of a better term. LOL It's easy to touch up again to maintain it. When it's dry, it's easier to clean up parts where you don't want paint.

UNGLEWD
04-10-2013, 10:37 PM
I've had good luck with the pens but they're tricky to find.
Toothpick is great for models too.
Can I add to it Matt?
I'd also suggest a few fine & flat tipped paint brushes left to harden over night.

imthatguy
04-11-2013, 12:29 AM
Nice one!

Sharpie also makes two varieties of paint pens. Acrylic and Oil. They both work well.

alan
04-11-2013, 11:42 AM
Wicked! I've been looking for 5teven's everywhere!

matt c
04-11-2013, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the extra tips. Old fine point marker makes so much sense. Easy to hold. Thanks Al. I'm going to thicken up the letters as they look too thin. Maybe try to make it look more like a logo.