PDA

View Full Version : chrome on poly carbonate body?

Wrencher
03-16-2013, 09:49 PM
The celica body i picked up from ABC comes with some decals to go on bumpers and look like chrome. I have my doubts on how well i can put them on, and how they good they would look. so i have done some searching on the internet. the only thing i have found to do chrome on a polycarbonate body is called Spaz Stix. however i have had no luck finding it in canada. does anyone have a source to get it? or does anyone have another method of doing chrome bumpers that looks decent? I was thinking of just trying tamiya bright silver?

what your thougths guys?

UNGLEWD
03-17-2013, 12:09 AM
I've had great luck with AlCAD.
I wish more of the shops would carry SpazStix too but i think there's issues with chemical laws.

matt c
03-17-2013, 01:15 AM
Agreed with the boss. I've used alcad in a spray bomb(rattle can). I still have some. It can be messy, as the tips and valves aren't top quality. I always get it all over me. A couple heavy coats of chrome, then back with a glossy black. Tough stuff. Worth the $17 for the small can. The stuff for polly can also be used on exterior plastics etc. I used it on my f1 wheels and my cup racer bumpers. Local shops usually carry it.

Wrencher
03-17-2013, 08:31 AM
didn't think the Alcad worked with polycarbonate? or did i get it mixed up again. i want to use on a clear plastic flexible body.

can you get it in spray cans? my wife loaned my airbrush to brother in law. lets just say it didn't come back in as good a shape as it left.

alan
03-17-2013, 11:20 AM
Alclad "2".

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa424/alanwernerphoto/IMG_0401.jpg

Wrencher
03-17-2013, 12:48 PM
sweet!!! will try ordering some from them

matt c
03-17-2013, 02:14 PM
Thanks Al. Yep that's the stuff. Sorry Kev spelled it wrong and I coppied it.

motocrawler
03-18-2013, 10:59 AM
I know racetech hobbies in coquitlam has spazstix chrome paint for lexan in stock. I was there last week and he had a full shelf of it.

Dukk
03-19-2013, 08:11 PM
I have used both SpazStix and Alclad chrome through an airbrush. IMO they gave similar results. SpazStix is by far harder to find in my area. One Stop in Abby stocks the Alclad.

imthatguy
03-20-2013, 04:44 AM
If that doesn't work, I used Bare Metal Foil. Looks great.

http://imageshack.us/a/img585/4002/img3369tz.jpg

bajaboy5b
03-20-2013, 05:11 AM
Alclad works great but the can stuff tends to flake off if it's not lightly airbrushed for me. Also it lasts much longer if you use Alclad gloss black for backing.

-Jeremy

Keddy
03-21-2013, 09:26 AM
I wish more of the shops would carry SpazStix too but i think there's issues with chemical laws.

Average Joe's RC is now carries SpazStix. Since he's already in Canada, there shouldn't be any issue mailing because it's not cross boarder. I know yesterday he put in a few hundred dollar order for SpazStix, so he's pretty stocked.

You can get in touch with him easy though email. Joe@averagejoesrc.ca

Wrencher
03-21-2013, 05:00 PM
If that doesn't work, I used Bare Metal Foil. Looks great.

http://imageshack.us/a/img585/4002/img3369tz.jpg

is it just aluminum foil? somehow attached? glue? more info please

imthatguy
03-21-2013, 06:05 PM
is it just aluminum foil? somehow attached? glue? more info please

Bare Metal Foil is the brand name. Tower carries it, among other places. It's super thin foil with a strong adhesive on the back. Love the stuff.

UNGLEWD
03-25-2013, 01:41 PM
I know racetech hobbies in coquitlam has spazstix chrome paint for lexan in stock. I was there last week and he had a full shelf of it.
Just called to make sure they had some in stock and they have no idea what Spazstix is?

stevem50
03-25-2013, 02:43 PM
the shop by me always has spazstix in stock... pm me and I can drop an ad on ebay and i'll send it up north

Dukk
03-25-2013, 08:15 PM
Wes at RCPitstop occasionally gets Spazstix in, or did, but I haven't been in there in a while.

UNGLEWD
03-26-2013, 12:01 AM
the shop by me always has spazstix in stock... pm me and I can drop an ad on ebay and i'll send it up northA very nice offer but it won't make the border I don't think

Wes at RCPitstop occasionally gets Spazstix in, or did, but I haven't been in there in a while.
I'd rather try to dissolve tinfoil or wait for a boat from Brittan ;)

motocrawler
03-26-2013, 07:44 AM
Just called to make sure they had some in stock and they have no idea what Spazstix is?

The shop owner Norm is their Thursday-Saturday. If you called any other day the guys he has working are completely useless. They didn't even know what a scx-10 was when I phoned for some parts. I can guarantee you he has it because I had it in my hand and almost bought it the other week, and not to mention Norm has all his racing buggies painted with spazstix.

robotron
03-26-2013, 08:38 AM
Michaels carries both silver leaf and gold leaf kits.
comes with adhesive and about 6 - 6" x 4" sheets, only works for external applications and you need a very steady hand for a clean finish. I did the bumpers on an old Bel-air body i had, looked pretty good but i rushed through it a little, there's certainly a great deal of potential for it. For small details it works great.

UNGLEWD
03-26-2013, 09:40 AM
The shop owner Norm is their Thursday-Saturday. If you called any other day the guys he has working are completely useless. They didn't even know what a scx-10 was when I phoned for some parts. I can guarantee you he has it because I had it in my hand and almost bought it the other week, and not to mention Norm has all his racing buggies painted with spazstix.
Geeze, I asked the guy to check, I asked if he'd like to ask for help while I waited .... nothing.
I'll call Norm Thursday, thanks Reza!

UNGLEWD
03-26-2013, 09:41 AM
Michaels carries both silver leaf and gold leaf kits.
comes with adhesive and about 6 - 6" x 4" sheets, only works for external applications and you need a very steady hand for a clean finish. I did the bumpers on an old Bel-air body i had, looked pretty good but i rushed through it a little, there's certainly a great deal of potential for it. For small details it works great.
It'd be great for bumpers and such that don't need the perfect finish on em for sure. I've used it a little from my old modeling days... it's tricky stuff but looks cool!

Dukk
03-27-2013, 10:03 PM
I'd rather try to dissolve tinfoil or wait for a boat from Brittan ;)

Oookay.. Just tryin to hep.. :smoke:

::D:

Wrencher
03-31-2013, 08:36 PM
well after trying to find alcad or spazstix locally, or get it shipped here easy I gave up and ordered some of the bare metal foil. I think it will work good and i can also do window trim. thanks that guy. Will let you know how it works when it arrives.

imthatguy
04-02-2013, 12:21 PM
well after trying to find alcad or spazstix locally, or get it shipped here easy I gave up and ordered some of the bare metal foil. I think it will work good and i can also do window trim. thanks that guy. Will let you know how it works when it arrives.

Looking forward to seeing the results!

Wrencher
04-10-2013, 08:01 PM
well i received my bare metal foil and had a go at it. was a little nervous when first starting out. always am, when i try new tecniques. This stuff if great. it is a very fragile and fiddly product to work with. after trying it a bit, i got a better at applying it. a bit of practice and alot of patience, i think it will be a very handy product to keep in my supply's. Thanks a bunch of introducing me to this stuff. worked out great.

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m534/wrencher1972/celica/celica041013007_zps522541aa.jpg
http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m534/wrencher1972/celica/celica041013003_zpsaa17ff3e.jpg
http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m534/wrencher1972/celica/celica041013002_zpsfee7f62c.jpg

imthatguy
04-11-2013, 12:26 AM
Looks like you're getting the hang of it!

UNGLEWD
04-11-2013, 08:09 AM
Nice work, gotta try this!

alan
04-11-2013, 11:36 AM
Looks great! Do you guys think it's durable enough for racing?

Wrencher
04-11-2013, 01:41 PM
not sure how it will hold up on track. seems to scratch easy. would be easy to repair. just add more overtop. it is so thin you would never see the layers with out lookin very close. i was almost tempted to try clear coating over the top of it, to protect it. not sure that would look good or even help.

alan
04-12-2013, 10:24 AM
I bet the clearcoat would help a little bit.