PDA

View Full Version : GCM Scale Garage #2 Tire Cutting

generis
11-24-2012, 07:09 AM
This is a common practice in scale modelling, but when it's your first time, these tips may help you overcome the fear of the knife! In all my tire cutting now, it seems to be that a 4 lug trim seems to be the magic number to get the bead down to the next lower rim size. The 2.2's were a 4 lug cut, now on 1.9 wheels. The 1.9's here were a 4 lug removal also, and now fit on a 1.55 rim! Give it a try!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dFgEX2bgzk

HeyOK
11-24-2012, 08:03 AM
Nice video. You have a knack for the how to's.

Still a little afraid to try it, but just might.

Weapon
11-25-2012, 07:48 PM
perfect! very inspiring, most definitely cutting up my rock creepers that have been shelf bound for a year.

jhedsy
11-27-2012, 01:40 PM
are you cutting between the tire pattern in the middle part of the tread? or just strait across and making sure the pattern lines up with the other side? If that makes sense.. :blink:

generis
11-27-2012, 02:23 PM
In this case, it was straight across, which ended up halfing one of the blocks! haha And it glued up pretty good. If need be, you could easily go around one block on both cuts, and get the same thing in the end. It's cool how these lined up great after the chop! Can't wait to wheel them on my old Blue ford build!

BrooklinsFinest
11-30-2012, 04:06 PM
Are you going to run these tires on a trail or just keep them on a shelf? How strong is the bond? What about using inner tube patch to hold the seam together?

generis
11-30-2012, 04:27 PM
I have seriously beaten glued tires for long periods with no issues. The CA bond is really strong and needs no reinforcements best I can tell.
Thanks

UNGLEWD
11-30-2012, 05:37 PM
Good on ya for putting this together Chris
Do you find the curved scissors give you trouble?
I used sewing scissors for a while until they were taken away from me. Now i just use a sharp pair of standard/straight ones.

generis
11-30-2012, 07:01 PM
yeah, the straight scissors are a bit of a pain, but my nice straight ones are long like a Tim Horton's line up, so I went with these! haha

baliah
12-01-2012, 03:53 AM
WOW!!! Great info, I think I have just enough information to be dangerous:)!!! I have always been a little afraid to cut any tires down in size, until now!! Thanks for this Chris!!