PDA

View Full Version : Fine Trimming

TheOtherSide
09-12-2012, 07:33 PM
Quick question on a Cup Racer clear body. When cutting it before paint... what is the best way to do the fine trimming to get the lines straight or wheel openings round etc. Do you guys use a dremmel with a sanding drum, or a round file etc? The scissors aren't doing it as true as I'd like.

Thx in advance!

crawlin
09-12-2012, 08:43 PM
Are you using curved scissors that will help get the wheel openings looking clean

TheOtherSide
09-13-2012, 06:54 AM
Are you using curved scissors that will help get the wheel openings looking clean

Yep... got curved and straight. You guys just cut and that's it?

alan
09-13-2012, 10:13 AM
If you score your line with an x-acto blade, you can then peel away the unwanted poly cleanly. (Like cutting glass)

imthatguy
09-13-2012, 10:19 AM
If you score your line with an x-acto blade, you can then peel away the unwanted poly cleanly. (Like cutting glass)

This. Works like a charm, provided you're not ham-fisted.

generis
09-13-2012, 12:45 PM
I like to use a hard curved block of some kind, and some 300+ grit paper, and clean up the wheel wells. That seems to help with the clean lines also. My scissor cutting looks bad at the best of days, so this is my fix. Straight block for straight lines also.

Chaseracer
09-13-2012, 05:58 PM
I use a dremel to clean up edges and shave off small amounts if needed

TheOtherSide
09-13-2012, 06:55 PM
I like to use a hard curved block of some kind, and some 300+ grit paper, and clean up the wheel wells. That seems to help with the clean lines also. My scissor cutting looks bad at the best of days, so this is my fix. Straight block for straight lines also.

There ya go... that's what I was wondering... thanks!

I use a dremel to clean up edges and shave off small amounts if needed

Got a dremel also.. may try that too, but don't want to dig too deep!!

Thx guys.

jhedsy
09-19-2012, 10:59 AM
When using a dremel, don't put too much pressure.

bajaboy5b
09-19-2012, 02:34 PM
I cut out with curved scissors then once it's painted I'm able to see the line better and use my dremel with a sanding drum to get it to the line.

-Jeremy

Ax-hole
09-23-2012, 08:50 AM
I cut out with curved scissors then once it's painted I'm able to see the line better and use my dremel with a sanding drum to get it to the line.

-Jeremy

Me too, low speed an a really light touch with long flowing strokes so the drum doesen't dive into it too deep, even do my straight lines with the drum this way.

caotic
09-23-2012, 07:58 PM
what Alan said works great. I have done that a number of times and works seamlessly. Just score your lines be it curved or straight and score again to make sure you penitrated enough material and then simply start a tare and keep it going. It will peel away and reveal a smooth line and cut and will not need sanding or smoothing. With this said as long as you don't have jagged cuts with the knife it will tare away nicely. Good luck. Lets see the finished product when you have time. Cheers

mikevillena
12-16-2012, 10:58 AM
I use curved scissors to "rough cut" the wheel well openings, followed by a sanding drum on a rotary tool and finish it off with wet sanding using 3m 600 to 1000 grit wrapped around an empty can and lots of soapy water. With lexan bodyshells, even the tiniest jagged cut in the wheel well causes a stress point which quickly develops into a tear.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/mikevillena/Cutting%20bodyshells/body02.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/mikevillena/Cutting%20bodyshells/body03.jpg

TheOtherSide
12-16-2012, 08:16 PM
I use curved scissors to "rough cut" the wheel well openings, followed by a sanding drum on a rotary tool and finish it off with wet sanding using 3m 600 to 1000 grit wrapped around an empty can and lots of soapy water. With lexan bodyshells, even the tiniest jagged cut in the wheel well causes a stress point which quickly develops into a tear.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/mikevillena/Cutting%20bodyshells/body02.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/mikevillena/Cutting%20bodyshells/body03.jpg

Nice... thx!