PDA

View Full Version : Painting the outside of a Wraith - light stripes on a dark background

donaldm314
08-21-2012, 06:41 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm working on my first build: a wraith kit. Quite enjoying this, and I'm really inspired by all the amazing rigs I'm seeing here!

I've painted the inside of the body panels with copper and silver -- going for the rusted metal look after the outside is scratched.

I'd like to paint the outside with Tamiya metallic blue (PS-16) with Tamiya orange (PS-7) stripes. I'm guessing I paint orange, then tape over where I want the orange stripes, then paint the blue.

Never done this before (did I mention it's my first build?). I think what I do is:
1. remove the protective film
2. wash/dry
3. primer
4. paint the entire outside of the panel orange; apply as many coats as required
5. use painters tape to cover where I want the orange lines to be; press the tape down really well with a roller/credit card, maybe even some heat from a hair dryer
6. paint as many coats of blue as required
7. when dry, remove the mask and marvel at my creation.

Is this how you'd proceed?

Thanks!

imthatguy
08-21-2012, 08:56 PM
No need to prime with PS paints if you ask me. And use the base for whatever colour you want to see the most of. Let the paint cure really well before taping over. Look forward to seeing it! If you want to see stripes, check out my Wraith thread!

Good luck!

donaldm314
08-22-2012, 07:09 AM
Thanks imthatguy, read your whole bluesmobile/tiger thread. That's an awesome wraith! I'm surprised nobody has bought it yet.

I'll cancel the primer steps, and do my stripes last. Won't be a tiger though, nor a zebra, nor even a giraffe.

Cheers!

imthatguy
08-22-2012, 07:23 AM
Raccoon tail?

donaldm314
08-22-2012, 01:41 PM
Raccoon tail?

I'm going with the skunk look.

donaldm314
10-05-2012, 07:14 PM
Resurrecting my old thread. My wraith build might be the slowest ever.

I've got the two colours done. Went with Tamiya Metallic Blue (PS-16) with Orange (PS-7) stripes.

Note the scratch-built mask:
http://dmurray.ca/public/img_5316_2012Sep01_small.jpg

I don't think I waited long enough after painting the blue before I masked for the stripes. Now that the tape has been removed I can see some lines along the front of the hood. There's also quite a sharp transition from the orange to blue.

It looks pretty good to me, especially since it's my first paint job. But it's not perfect. Maybe I'm spending too much time watching the experts on this forum. :dry:

http://dmurray.ca/public/img_5821_2012Sep30_small.jpg

http://dmurray.ca/public/img_5822_2012Sep30_small.jpg

So... I was already planning a coat or two of Tamiya Pearl Clear (PS-58) over the blue and orange -- can't have too much bling protecting it from rocks don't you know.

My new and improved plan is to sand out the lines using 2000-grit sandpaper -- the finest I could find at my LHS. I'm a little nervous about this plan, since I don't want to make it worse.

Anyone have some suggestions for removing these lines without totally wrecking the hood?

Cheers!