PDA

View Full Version : painting styrene?

Wrencher
06-16-2012, 10:48 AM
as i get more into this hobby i am starting to use materials that i am not so familiar with. one of the challenges i keep coming up against is painting styrene. one of the biggest challeneges i have is getting paint to stick? i have tried several types of paint and primers. some work ok others not at all. i usually wash everything in warm soapy water and dry with compressed air before applying paint and primer. the only time i seem to get paint to stick very well is if i use very light sand paper on surface. is it just that styrene's surface is soooo smooth that paint has nothing to stick too? do you guys sand every peice before paint? or is there some kind of primer that works best on styrene? i was surprised that tamiya PS paint peeled off after drying?

curious to know what others are doing or what i am doing wrong?

Chris

nigelpheron
06-16-2012, 06:47 PM
Yes. You must sand to add "Tooth", for anything to stick mechanically. On my composites, I use 280grit to stick primer to, then 400grit on the primer for the paint to stick to. I will try the same on my styrene concoctions, and see what the results are.

I'm guessing that too rough a paper on the styrene, and the scratches it produces, will be accentuated by the solvents in the paint, if too much is applied at once.

I guess ya got to experiment on some scraps, and find what works.

Styrene experts please chime in.

baliah
06-17-2012, 01:44 AM
I am not a Styrene expert but I was having the same problem until I sanded it with 1000 grit and then sanded with the same grit after primer? Paint sticks much better, either by rattle cans or airbrush!

UNGLEWD
06-17-2012, 04:03 PM
I agree with these boys... sanding = max adhesion!

pardonmyn00b
06-17-2012, 05:14 PM
I give the body a wet sand with 400 grit before I spray the primer. Usually only on the parts I've scratch built or modified though. Some parts never get any sanding before paint. Never had a problem with paint lifting.