PDA

View Full Version : Paint help

ptchwrk1
02-25-2012, 04:43 AM
I was wondering guys, does anybody know if i could put my parts in an oven to bake the paint on like body shops do for cars?:confused:

imthatguy
02-25-2012, 06:22 AM
You'd have to be using metal parts and appropriate paints. That said, your wife/girlfriend/Mom will kill you. Fumes might do the same thing...

ptchwrk1
02-26-2012, 05:58 AM
thanks for the info. I gave a local body shop a call too and they said, spray paint and automobile paint are totally different animals. PPG and Dupont finishes are urethane based and their paint booths have a serious vent system which bake the cars around 100 degrees or a little higher

ol Swede
02-26-2012, 05:06 PM
I live in a not so new 150 yr old farm home heated primarily with wood stoves Sometimes I warm the parts on a stove dash to the porch to paint then a few minutes back on the stove. Not too long depending on stove temp. Seems to help the paint dry a bit quicker.

ptchwrk1
02-26-2012, 05:23 PM
I use a kerosene heater in the basement to warm it up a little while working. I hung the parts above it after spraying them and seems to work pretty good . Thanks for the idea

street.terror
02-26-2012, 07:50 PM
i use the really expensive blow dryer i bought the gf, both before and after painting... hahaha

Copious
02-26-2012, 09:05 PM
Having the parts warm will speed the drying time but may not do any favours for adhesion. Also I know for a fact (from work and collosal failures) that fuel burning heaters will leave a tiny layer of soot/residue on you work also not aiding the adhesion properties (probably not an issue at this small scale). Electric heat all the way over here, heat gun or electric heater :beerchug:

ptchwrk1
02-27-2012, 06:21 AM
I did use a hair dryer between coats to tact them up faster and only hung the parts above the heater after the last coat was applied, just in case of any type of residue issue. I'm always worried about a fisheye problem when painting parts, especially yesterday waiting for the race to start and snacking between coats.

douglastee
03-13-2012, 01:00 PM
Have you tried light bulbs like a heat lamp? Lamps are the same heat source used with powder coating small metal parts.