PDA

View Full Version : ::KJ's:: Mini Cooper S MKII - M05 Project

UNGLEWD
12-08-2011, 10:12 AM
http://images2.fanpop.com/images/photos/7200000/1964-Mini-Cooper-S-Racing-mini-cooper-7272975-440-305.jpghttp://www.minimania.com/images/Mini-at-the-Monte-Carlo-Rally-1967-Aaltonen-and-Liddon-1024x768.jpghttp://images.forum-auto.com/mesimages/341138/Coupe%20des%20alpes%201965%2070.jpghttp://www.miniresource.com/MINI/retro2.jpeg

With all the leftover kit parts from my recent M Series bonanza I have enough to finish my long neglected Mini project. Always loved the Tamiya Minis and have yet to see one scaled out with interior and other bits... it's time!

imthatguy
12-08-2011, 10:38 AM
Awesome!

I guess you haven't seen this thread:

http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4310

UNGLEWD
12-08-2011, 10:52 AM
WOW... that's wicked.
This will be no where near that level, this one's a fun runner.
Man that's inspirational though :bowdown:

MidlandRC
12-08-2011, 03:26 PM
Yeah, that Mike Villena build was ridiculous. I think the only thing he had left to do was scratch build the tools he used to do the scratch building with. :noway: :laugh:

Looking forward to another great build Kev!

UNGLEWD
12-10-2011, 01:36 PM
I'll show you where we sit on the Cooper project.
So far I have my M Rally Chassis assembled. In with my Rally kit I have these cool special edition plated wheels. I'm running the new M Rally tires on them and I have a second set of wheels that I'll be running the HPI belted radials on for the road course stuff.

Aside from the adjustable ride height the kit comes with these polycarbonate skid plates

UNGLEWD
12-10-2011, 01:38 PM
After bashing the M06 Pro kit for the drag car I have a set of the nicer shocks and blue anodized goodies to go on too. Just returned from getting another can of trans green to make a lucky color of racing green (no guarantees on this color) As much as I love the original red I can't get the British Racing Green out of my head

UNGLEWD
12-11-2011, 10:28 AM
Made some progress late last night after some supurb onroad inspiration...
Tire change!
Running the HPI radials to see how they hook up in the dry conditions

Some body detail, more to come after i clean the bench up from yesterday

matt c
12-11-2011, 10:58 AM
The FF platform is very competitive against our FR layout. Justin proved that last night at Al's place. You'll have no problems running that if that's what you're planning on doing. I'm glad you didn't decide to rush it. It's coming along good.

alan
12-11-2011, 11:03 AM
Looks great, Kev! Gotta love HPI's radials...... Soooo, finished this afternoon?:3gears:

MidlandRC
12-11-2011, 11:07 AM
:drooler:

WOW!! I'm loving this little guy right now. Fantastic job as always Kev. You guys are really making me want one of these.

UNGLEWD
12-11-2011, 11:20 AM
The FF platform is very competitive against our FR layout. Justin proved that last night at Al's place. You'll have no problems running that if that's what you're planning on doing. I'm glad you didn't decide to rush it. It's coming along good.
Yeah, I'm glad i didn't rush ... I was 3hrs jut to this point so I wouldn't have made it back. This is my runner though so there will be some candy green down the sides of that Toyota for sure!

Looks great, Kev! Gotta love HPI's radials...... Soooo, finished this afternoon?:3gears: Well it should run but I'm wanting to do the roof rack still... maybe tomorrow if I don't get into the buggy project. :confused:

:drooler:

WOW!! I'm loving this little guy right now. Fantastic job as always Kev. You guys are really making me want one of these.
Thank you, they're a fun affordable little kit, an easy build and challenging to drive

alan
12-11-2011, 11:27 AM
I'm wanting to do the roof rack still...
Sweet! Plans have been to upgrade the Carrera with foglights and a roofrack as the season progresses. Look forward to seeing your technique!

alan
12-11-2011, 01:25 PM
BTW. Are those wheels zero or positive offset? I need something 'dishy'.

Radioflyer
12-11-2011, 04:56 PM
Watanabes (or Panasports) are my favorite vintage wheels. Hell they even look good on new cars too! :biggthumpup:

Love that green.

Sean :cool:

UNGLEWD
12-13-2011, 11:41 AM
Sweet! Plans have been to upgrade the Carrera with foglights and a roofrack as the season progresses. Look forward to seeing your technique!
After seeing some of the spectacular crashes the other night I decided against the hand build brass stuff and went for something a touch more disposable... pics to follow

BTW. Are those wheels zero or positive offset? I need something 'dishy'.
zero offset... you're already sporting my best dish option on the Porsche... the RC world just needs to spit up more cause I can't find em anywhere

Watanabes (or Panasports) are my favorite vintage wheels. Hell they even look good on new cars too! :biggthumpup:

Love that green.
Thanks, green's a hard one for me but i like the results this time... just hope it's no jinx on the track.
You should check out the Ride M series tires, there's stuff very similar to the Watanabe designs

UNGLEWD
12-13-2011, 02:51 PM
Got most of the interior plate complete.
Two Tamiya ABS interiors combined with two of our new JKRC Scale heads. A few more decals touch ups and trimming and it should done

Some more body detail in, still have to weather the grille, dust the car and do all my wiring for the LEDs and ESC. Yellow headlights are just for you Al. Decided to cut and modify one of the proline roof racks cause I think this car will get demolished pretty quick.... I hate these roof racks so it wont hurt my feelings as bad as a hand made brass one looking like a pretzel after a few heats.

And yes the body posts will get trimmed real low as I get closer to wrapping this up

imthatguy
12-13-2011, 03:00 PM
Dear Kevin, I hate you.

Sincerely,

Me.

;)

Awesome job, and many ideas will be stolen.

jeenyus
12-13-2011, 03:09 PM
Looks great! the paint and yellow headlight lenses are my favorite!

UNGLEWD
12-13-2011, 03:20 PM
Dear Kevin, I hate you.

Sincerely,

Me.

;)

Awesome job, and many ideas will be stolen.
LOL... that's the best letter I've received all month... LMAO
Steal away sir!

Looks great! the paint and yellow headlight lenses are my favorite!
I like the lens color two, something very unusual for me.

MidlandRC
12-13-2011, 04:47 PM
As my 8 year old would say... "that's not fair!!"

Kev, your toys are cooler than mine, and it's just not fair. I'm taking my ball and going home.

:laugh:

Brother, that thing looks great. Amazing work as usual.

alan
12-13-2011, 06:32 PM
:Wow1: Holy detail!!!.... Can't wait to hurt it.:grinch:

Lovin' the painted tires!

UNGLEWD
12-13-2011, 07:01 PM
hey Kev great job on this thing it looks great I myself like the yellow headlights to .....makes it look old school

on a side note do these kits come with the interior kits that you put in I will be doing a build soon of my very first car I ever had years back I found the body through a link posted here at ABC hobboies and would like to put an interior in aswell

thanks in advance bud......your builds allways blow my mind to the detail and craftsmanship

Hey thanks, glad ya like it
Nope the interior kits are a separate part... about $13 each I think, made by Tamiya I used two on this one to double up for the navigator

As my 8 year old would say... "that's not fair!!"

Kev, your toys are cooler than mine, and it's just not fair. I'm taking my ball and going home.

:laugh:

Brother, that thing looks great. Amazing work as usual.
Funny stuff you guys, thanks for the fun comments

:Wow1: Holy detail!!!.... Can't wait to hurt it.:grinch:

Lovin' the painted tires!
Told you i was working.... just got electronics and charge up all of the new packs and we're ready.
I figured the raised yellow letters might help put some color back on that Porsche of yours. devil

Radioflyer
12-13-2011, 07:48 PM
That's so cool Kev. I have an M05 Mini but it's all beat to hell and cut up. I will be getting a new body for it someday though so thanks for some of the ideas I'm gonna steal too. :luxhello:

MrRangeRover1996
12-13-2011, 07:56 PM
I love it when leftover parts come togeather to make such a nice "little" car.

matt c
12-13-2011, 08:30 PM
Looks great! You might be the only one wrecking it. Last place is a safe place to be. Just watch out for when we lap you though. You must tell me how you did your front yellow lenses. I want, I want.

Radioflyer
12-13-2011, 08:56 PM
You must tell me how you did your front yellow lenses. I want, I want.

Highlighter marker? Food dye? Clear paint? Or maybe just yellow lenses leftover from something else?

Gonzo007
12-13-2011, 08:59 PM
Again Kevin great looking build. I need to find a new body for my mini. Its pretty beat up from a summer of running it at GoRc.

Will be stealing a bunch of your idea's for it.

Colin

UNGLEWD
12-14-2011, 05:34 PM
That's so cool Kev. I have an M05 Mini but it's all beat to hell and cut up. I will be getting a new body for it someday though so thanks for some of the ideas I'm gonna steal too.
Fix er up... I'm still a Mini fan, even more after running today

I love it when leftover parts come togeather to make such a nice "little" car.Thx, it's nice when the odd build comes together on the cheap!

Looks great! You might be the only one wrecking it. Last place is a safe place to be. Just watch out for when we lap you though. You must tell me how you did your front yellow lenses. I want, I want. LOL, well when you're allowed out again you'll see after some tuning by Al this thing performs like a little champ. I'll finish the graphics out back to give you something to look at evil

Highlighter marker? Food dye? Clear paint? Or maybe just yellow lenses leftover from something else?
Nope, Tamiya Clear Yellow X-24 with a vintage white LED

Again Kevin great looking build. I need to find a new body for my mini. Its pretty beat up from a summer of running it at GoRc.

Will be stealing a bunch of your idea's for it.

Steal away and get buildin!

UNGLEWD
12-14-2011, 05:38 PM
Just returned from my test&tune afternoon with Al and Reza.... that was AWESOME! Loving the true scale racing with clean passing and scale crashes. You guys have changed RC racing for the best!

I'm very pleased with the way this budget racer has come together. After some steering adjustments and a couple shock adjustments it rolls around the track very well.

I snapped some pics before rushing over to run the car. I realized once i got there I forgot a few things but there's lots of time before that before the next race.

Some shots before getting some real wear on it

alan
12-14-2011, 06:27 PM
A real treat having you on the track, Kev! Excellent driving skills too!

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa424/alanwernerphoto/IMG_0036-2.jpg

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa424/alanwernerphoto/IMG_0040.jpg

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa424/alanwernerphoto/IMG_0020.jpg

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa424/alanwernerphoto/IMG_0015.jpg

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa424/alanwernerphoto/IMG_0019.jpg

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa424/alanwernerphoto/IMG_0041-2.jpg

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa424/alanwernerphoto/IMG_0048-2.jpg

Copious
12-14-2011, 07:04 PM
Woah!! Watch out ! LOW BRIDGE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like the city should post clearence hieghts LOL Nice car and cool pics.

Deric
12-14-2011, 09:06 PM
That track and those pics are awesome. Alan how long have you been build that little city track? Awesome mini Kevin. Took me a min but the two into one for the interior is so trick!

UNGLEWD
12-14-2011, 11:23 PM
Woah!! Watch out ! LOW BRIDGE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like the city should post clearence hieghts LOL Nice car and cool pics.
I know right...oops
Funny, I hit the first one in the same spot and just before I was leaving Al tried to see if he could wedge it under further. All damage is fixed and it's ready to run again!

That track and those pics are awesome. Alan how long have you been build that little city track? Awesome mini Kevin. Took me a min but the two into one for the interior is so trick!Here's a small writeup with a bit of detail on the space. Glad you like the ride

sorry to bug you again on the interior thing ...i have an m-06 coming shortly and need one of these int kits ....is this something tha Cam at GoGo can get me ...is that where you pick them up
Yes, he can get anything Tamiya as far as I know. I've had some here for a while so I decided it was quickest to bang something light out

motocrawler
12-14-2011, 11:52 PM
sorry to bug you again on the interior thing ...i have an m-06 coming shortly and need one of these int kits ....is this something tha Cam at GoGo can get me ...is that where you pick them up

Rick,

If Cam can't get it, I know RC pitstop has them in stock. I grabbed 2 today and he had 2 left.
The Tamiya interiors fit so nicely in the smaller cars, just needs a little trim and it fits like a glove.

motocrawler
12-14-2011, 11:57 PM
I know right...oops
Funny, I hit the first one in the same spot and just before I was leaving Al tried to see if he could wedge it under further.

That poor mini, it got a bit of a beating today. Me snapping the bumper, Al and you hitting the overpass support...but man does she go like a bat out of hell. You were driving that thing so well!

Gonzo007
12-15-2011, 05:16 AM
Rick,

If Cam can't get it, I know RC pitstop has them in stock. I grabbed 2 today and he had 2 left.
The Tamiya interiors fit so nicely in the smaller cars, just needs a little trim and it fits like a glove.

Nope none left

Colin

imthatguy
12-15-2011, 06:12 AM
Nope none left

Colin

Tower has 'em. That's where I got mine. Note: To fit it under a M chassis or similar body, massive amounts of trimming will be required.

alan
12-15-2011, 05:38 PM
Thanks, Deric! The track has been an on-going project for years.

Here's a small writeup with a bit of detail on the space. Glad you like the ride

Are we missing a link here, Kev?

Radioflyer
12-15-2011, 06:14 PM
Tower has 'em. That's where I got mine. Note: To fit it under a M chassis or similar body, massive amounts of trimming will be required.

Tower has two. Left-hand and right-hand drive interiors.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXYJA5&P=SM

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&W=001361713&I=LXBGUB&P=K

imthatguy
12-15-2011, 06:19 PM
I went right hand to be JDM specific.

UNGLEWD
12-15-2011, 06:59 PM
Oops...:blink:
http://scalebuildersguild.com/rcca/features/armature_alley.html

UNGLEWD
12-21-2011, 10:03 AM
Went over for a whole wack of laps last night... the more I drive it the more I 'm loving the car. I should spend more time with the onroad rides to appreciate and get used to the handling characteristics.
I trimmed the roof rack down and now it clears the overpass! :blink:

Dukk
12-22-2011, 07:37 PM
I got the email that mine is in Sumas. Very excited :luxhello:

matt c
12-22-2011, 08:24 PM
Went over for a whole wack of laps last night... the more I drive it the more I 'm loving the car. I should spend more time with the onroad rides to appreciate and get used to the handling characteristics.
I trimmed the roof rack down and now it clears the overpass! :blink:

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the little racer. I can't get enough of it myself. Way too much fun. fI'm looking forward to racing you at some point this season. :beerchug:

UNGLEWD
12-22-2011, 08:29 PM
I got the email that mine is in Sumas. Very excited :luxhello:

Right on, right on!!! :biggthumpup:

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the little racer. I can't get enough of it myself. Way too much fun. fI'm looking forward to racing you at some point this season. :beerchug:
Heck yeah buddy, we're having a blast up here and looking forward to running beside you

CactusJack
12-30-2011, 09:43 PM
Wowza's!!! I never used to venture in to this part of the forum but when I saw this thread I ordered one of those Mini's immediately (and 2 cup racer kits after seeing some of the other threads in here too :laugh:). Now I'm an on-road guy as well as off! Anyways, it finally arrived today but my body has some pretty horrible mold lines through the rear windows which I dont notice on yours. Did I just get a dud body? or did yours have them as well? and if so how did you manage to hide them so well? any tips or tricks? Beautiful work man, and I cant wait to get mine built up - I can't wipe the smile off my face every time I look at the pics of your completed build.

UNGLEWD
12-31-2011, 02:13 PM
Wowza's!!! I never used to venture in to this part of the forum but when I saw this thread I ordered one of those Mini's immediately (and 2 cup racer kits after seeing some of the other threads in here too :laugh:). Now I'm an on-road guy as well as off! Anyways, it finally arrived today but my body has some pretty horrible mold lines through the rear windows which I dont notice on yours. Did I just get a dud body? or did yours have them as well? and if so how did you manage to hide them so well? any tips or tricks? Beautiful work man, and I cant wait to get mine built up - I can't wipe the smile off my face every time I look at the pics of your completed build.

Ahh ya don't know what you've been missing!
Thanks for your comments on the Mini, going around the track better and better all the time.

Those lines are there in mine too... notice the location of my roll cage bars pass behind that bad spot. I use this lots, plays enough eye games that it almost becomes invisible. The reason the Tamiya and ABC bodies are so nice is that they're not from one piece plugs... these seams are part of the trade off but they can be hidden!

Thanks again for the compliments

baliah
01-01-2012, 01:58 AM
Aha!!! That is great info Kev, I was wondering what to do with the lines through the back side windows on the FJ40!! Have to build a roll cage i think!!

UNGLEWD
01-04-2012, 09:46 PM
Aha!!! That is great info Kev, I was wondering what to do with the lines through the back side windows on the FJ40!! Have to build a roll cage i think!!
I know you should, glad I could help

Radioflyer
01-06-2012, 08:09 PM
The reason the Tamiya and ABC bodies are so nice is that they're not from one piece plugs... these seams are part of the trade off but they can be hidden!

I noticed that on my Tamiya RX-7 body when I got it and I was a bit disappointed. OK I'm not at the upper level of scale modeling but I didn't expect the lines to be where they were.
On my ABC body they did a great job of incorporating the rear line with the rear window and bodywork but on the front it intersects with the natural line between the door and the front fender. :p6639707:
Hopefully it won't show too badly.

UNGLEWD
01-09-2012, 12:47 PM
Yeah Sean, that one's a bummer!
Only thing that'll disguise that one is to embrace it and make it look like a flip front end conversion... and easier sell on some cars over others though.

street.terror
01-09-2012, 08:28 PM
What the heck? I had no idea there was a rally spec M05... At the end of the indoor season I'm going to have to go shopping for the kit specific parts and get my mini ready for some mini jumps and bumps :)

Dukk
01-12-2012, 09:55 PM
Kev - are you still running the kit shocks? I assembled mine last nite. Not feeling it..

street.terror
01-13-2012, 06:54 AM
I use the 3racing shocks in mine with the Tamiya option parts spring package. They are great and 1/3 the cost of the Tamiya shocks.

did your kit come with those stupid plastic friction shocks?

UNGLEWD
01-13-2012, 07:41 AM
What the heck? I had no idea there was a rally spec M05... At the end of the indoor season I'm going to have to go shopping for the kit specific parts and get my mini ready for some mini jumps and bumps :)
Yes, they're new but...
They're not that rally ready. They have options to increase ride height, some lexan chassis panels and rally tires.

Kev - are you still running the kit shocks? I assembled mine last nite. Not feeling it..I swapped the originals for a set of the Tamiya Pro units... the stock ones are sub par for sure.

I use the 3racing shocks in mine with the Tamiya option parts spring package. They are great and 1/3 the cost of the Tamiya shocks.

I have the 3Racing and the high dollar Tamiya aluminum shock upgrades here too. So far I prefer the Tamiya Pro shocks (come in the upgraded pro kits) because they're pretty easy to setup your fluids being clear. unfrtunately they're nit threaded so not really great for tuning using the push in plastic spacers.
Are the 3 racing shocks good for holding their oil? Haven't filled mine yet and as you said they would make a good alternative to the $80 Tamiya ones

street.terror
01-13-2012, 07:52 AM
So far they are the best shocks I own. I had the yeah racing ones before, I had to re fill them after one night of use, then the spring supports broke.

The 3 racing however are still full after 2 nights of racing and there is no signs of leaking around the piston. I don't have the usual mess of caked on dirt and fuzz to clean off the piston after each heat I'm used to doing with my xray. They went together great, you can tell they are well made. I went with them after reading great things about then on mini.net which is pretty much the go to sure for setup info when racing an m chassis

Dukk
01-15-2012, 10:37 AM

Yeah I suppose you could call them friction shocks.. I've built my fair share of Tamiya 'air shocks' but these things are a new level of junk. They don't even use a shock shaft..

I'll look online for the 3Racing shocks. Thanks

street.terror
01-15-2012, 11:05 AM
Yeah I suppose you could call them friction shocks.. I've built my fair share of Tamiya 'air shocks' but these things are a new level of junk. They don't even use a shock shaft..

I'll look online for the 3Racing shocks. Thanks

Yeah those are the same ones my kit came with... Absolute garbage.

Dukk
01-15-2012, 11:30 AM
lol I considered stuffing them with a little foam for some kind of damping but I'm not even going to bother..

How's it look after the Enduro race yesterday Kev? Any war wounds? :)

UNGLEWD
01-15-2012, 12:32 PM
It took a couple whacks but nothing serious.
Now the drivers side fender flare is half off and needs mending (like the passenger side did last week) and the tow hook's bent over.

It worked great all race, and the entire race I only used about 5200Mah so it's quite efficient.
It's time for a little suspension tuning and a few other details to get it to grip the track a little more.

The new rally light have some serious kapooow!
Will post up a few more pics when it rolls out the garage again

matt c
01-15-2012, 07:11 PM
Wow, you can really drive that thing. Where have you practiced in the past? Do you have track/race experience? Is that too much of an off topic question?

UNGLEWD
01-16-2012, 04:37 PM
Wow, you can really drive that thing. Where have you practiced in the past? Do you have track/race experience? Is that too much of an off topic question?
You're being kind... LOL
I was telling Al a few weeks back that the last time I raced was back in about 86 and it was 2wd buggys. So the only racing I've done at all aside from the Armature Alley driving school was our race the other night. I'm determined to get my lines cleaned up in the coming months... the good laps I did the other night felt fantastic. I have to train myself not to get heavy on the throttle when the heat's turned up.

This photo should take care of two things:
1. This is the result of me coming into corners heavy
2. Shows the new Rally lights pretty well.

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa424/alanwernerphoto/IMG_0139.jpg

alan
01-16-2012, 10:20 PM
Lights look great! And did their job admirably! Hopefully next time I'll have the time to give them a closer inspection.
And I agree with Matt; You driving is getting really good in a hurry.

Matt_Hicks_Designs
01-18-2012, 11:57 PM
such a cool build Kev... wow the drivers look awesome!! did the body get the same copper base coat like you were talking about?

UNGLEWD
01-19-2012, 05:30 AM
Lights look great! And did their job admirably! Hopefully next time I'll have the time to give them a closer inspection.
And I agree with Matt; You driving is getting really good in a hurry.
I'm ready for another round when you are!

such a cool build Kev... wow the drivers look awesome!! did the body get the same copper base coat like you were talking about?Thanks Matt, yep same basic technique as we spoke of yesterday, just black on the inside, gold on the outside and transparent green topcoat... looks better with age I think

UNGLEWD
01-29-2012, 09:26 PM
Had a blast with this again today, really great little car.
I'm switching out the chassis on this one now to the M03, still will perform just as well but the M05 is a bit wasted under here when there's a M03 (that really only fits under a mini) here loaded and ready to go.

I'm blowing the dust off of the Fiat Abarth and running it as my new M05 FWD race car, hasn't been run since the mag article and deserves some track time!

Wrencher
02-09-2012, 07:43 PM
anyone had a chance to get video of this little beauty in action?

UNGLEWD
02-09-2012, 08:14 PM
Nope, no video on this one... it's retired to the new JKRC scale shop (coming soon to Armature Alley. It has taken some serious lumps so I thought it would be neat to have a permanent car in the shop when it's lit up.

swingkid
02-15-2012, 10:28 AM
this i my cooper mk II monte carlo look a like
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-nfwaEtIMT8o/Ty_2BuWK6YI/AAAAAAAAYfs/F3hiEBWMLTQ/s400/%25289%2520of%252025%2529.jpg
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-QyAtMyDcXS8/TzbILUrWFBI/AAAAAAAAYhE/jTTVj7zuFQQ/s400/%252815%2520of%252016%2529.jpg
it's not finished yet , i still have to make an roof-rack with tires

UNGLEWD
02-15-2012, 11:24 AM
Really nice shot in the snow doode!!!!!