PDA

View Full Version : Orange Crush

Radioflyer
11-27-2011, 10:08 PM
When Tamiya recently introduced their M06 Mazda RX-7 It caught my eye.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSVPteGUZfZ6R0j3TnXr5ZV0KrLJT6wt 1PX-B8tEJE52LtnqzlmgjHkl5Xh

I've always liked the first gen RX-7 and wanted one as a teenager.

Fast forward a bunch of years...and I have one...sorta.

Originally it was Cream White and I picked it up relatively cheap as the motor was a bit tired and the paint needed TLC. But no matter, I had plans for it. evil
This isn't my car but it's identical to how it looked when I bought it. Same wheels too.

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss141/Gronk812/stuff/RX7.jpg

I drove it for three years on that tired motor, always wishing for a street ported turbo 13b but that never happened. I did paint the car and threw on a set of wheels and some BF Goodrich Radial T/As. This is what it looked like. I called it Orange Crush.

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss141/Gronk812/stuff/OrangeCrush.jpg

Well the last summer I drove it (2002 I believe) one of the rotors spit out some apex seals and that was all she wrote. I already had plans to swap in another motor but I never followed through. Still have the car, but it needs some work and I don't have a garage at the moment. Maybe it's all this recent interest in Cup Racers but I was thinking I should pick up a Tamiya kit and make a 1/10th Orange Crush.
I really miss driving that car. :3gears:

Sean :cool:

matt c
11-27-2011, 11:17 PM
I think it's a great idea to build a replica of an old 'Crush'. There's a lot of fun to be had running a small scale race car with some friends on a cool indoor race track. Are you local to the GVRD or Fraser Valley?

Radioflyer
11-29-2011, 05:48 PM
I think it's a great idea to build a replica of an old 'Crush'. There's a lot of fun to be had running a small scale race car with some friends on a cool indoor race track. Are you local to the GVRD or Fraser Valley?

No the Valley I am referring to in my location is Valley East, a suburb of Sudbury which is about four hours north of Toronto.

We used to have a decent club 15 years ago and it was fun to run these little cars on carpet in the winter. A half-dozen of these running four-cell with silver can motors was awesome to watch. All the cars were glued together like a freight train because they were so slow. :biggthumpup:

UNGLEWD
11-30-2011, 09:23 AM
I say build it!
The Tamiya RX7 would look even better with a slightly adjusted stance and wheel offset.

alan
11-30-2011, 11:37 AM
Do it! That orange with the hopped up wheels looks great!

Radioflyer
11-30-2011, 12:28 PM
You guys twisted my rubber arm, I got a kit on order. I'll have my 12 year old assemble it and I will do the body. :biggthumpup:

Radioflyer
12-12-2011, 01:10 PM
My kit arrived today. :rock:
Hoping to get started on it tonight if I get home early enough from work.

alan
12-12-2011, 01:16 PM
:popcorn: Ready.

imthatguy
12-12-2011, 01:30 PM
Make it so. The good thing is, you've already got the body with the kit, so people won't complain about your 5 page threads with no body shots... ;)

Radioflyer
12-17-2011, 02:19 PM
Ok finally got a chance to dive into the box. My 12 year old saw it and asked if he could put it together. ;)

As he was assembling the gearbox I noticed that there were a bunch of plastic bushings in the bag. :huh:
I looked around and could not find the ball bearings that the Tower ad (http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBGTP&P=SM) said came with the kit. :p6639707:

I fired off an e-mail to Tower sales with a link to their online ad and asked them to fulfill the terms of the purchase by sending me a ball bearing set, either Tamiya brand or suitable replacement. About 30 minutes later I got a reply from them (Joan) apologizing for the inconvenience and oversight and that they would send me the missing items right away. :)
I replied back thanking her and confirming that their excellent and fast service is the reason I shop there, and I wished her and everybody happy holidays. :beerchug:
They probably looked at my purchasing history and figured they needed to keep me happy. ;)
I just checked my account and it says that they are currently assembling the order. :luxhello:

For the time being I dug out a bunch of old Tamiya bearings and using those. They are all like 20 years old and have some miles on them but ANYTHING is better than plastic Tamiya bushings! :laugh:

matt c
12-18-2011, 01:28 AM
ANYTHING is better than plastic Tamiya bushings! :laugh:

:

agreed. A wet sock will out spin a white tamiya bushing.:p6639707: In some cases, air is an upgrade compared to a tamiya bushing.:luxhello:

Sorry for the one liner. I just feel strongly about this and decided to voice my opinion.:biggthumpup:

beaster
12-18-2011, 06:43 AM
i have ordered this kit as well i quessing i might not have any ball bearings in my kit either but good to know that tower hobbies has no issue with fullfilling there end. i probibly wouldnt of emailed tamiya but if they are missing i think i will shoot them an email now!

ol Swede
12-18-2011, 07:47 PM
I have gotten many things from Tower & they rarely mess up. When they have they took care of the goof right now.Hope ya have fun on this build.

Headquake
12-18-2011, 08:27 PM
I think most all tamiya kits come with bushings except for the pro chassis kits which has hop ups but no body. If you got the M-06 kit with the body, i don't think it normally comes with bearings. Maybe you talked Tower into free bearings. :biggthumpup:

Whats with Tamiya not giving bearings with their kits anyhow? Ha. I don't think bearings should be considered a hop up.

alan
12-19-2011, 01:03 PM
I've completely destroyed bearings running in silty mud and had to re-install the old Tamiya bushings to keep going. Didn't notice any difference at all and I'm still happily running the bushings.

As Headquake said; The $250 pro kit comes with bearings, regular Tamiya kits do not.

Radioflyer
12-19-2011, 01:42 PM
I've completely destroyed bearings running in silty mud and had to re-install the old Tamiya bushings to keep going. Didn't notice any difference at all and I'm still happily running the bushings.

As Headquake said; The $250 pro kit comes with bearings, regular Tamiya kits do not.

Well compared to the other kits, the RX-7 was more expensive. I assumed since Tower listed the bearings as being included, that was the reason for the higher cost.

alan
12-19-2011, 02:00 PM
Sorry Sean. I was mouthing up without reading the whole thread.:o I checked out the Tower ad and can see its misleading nature when it gives the model/order numbers for all the "replacement" bearings.

Radioflyer
12-27-2011, 05:59 PM
Well I have had the chassis together for a while now and just got the chance to try it out on a gym floor today. I have to say I'm not really impressed with the M06. :p6639707:
OK the shocks have zero dampening and the front camber was off but the steering setup is just hokey. I'm going to replace the shocks with real oil-filled units and play with the suspension a bit. Since this car is in the long wheelbase config there looks to be enough room in front of the battery to put a servo. I might be able to get proper steering geometry out of it that way. I dunno, my M01 mini handles ten times better, in front or rear drive config than this M06. :paranoid:

curtboy345
12-27-2011, 07:06 PM
thats going to look good

beaster
12-29-2011, 11:53 AM
got my kit no bearings/abs mirrors, fired off an email to tower. had sum issues with them but needless to say the bearings are coming. no mirrors tho:(

UNGLEWD
12-29-2011, 12:07 PM
yeah you gotta run at least a set of the upgraded shocks, why I order the Pro kits.
How's that body coming along?

Radioflyer
01-07-2012, 01:39 PM
It's painted but I was debating whether to use the icluded decals or try to be more creative. Time is a huge factor for me so I opted to simply use the decals for now and paint it later on after the decals start peeling off. I will post a couple pics later.

Deric
01-07-2012, 10:18 PM
Come on Sean......Lets see this orange beauty!

Radioflyer
01-08-2012, 03:21 PM
Ok ok. You guys are so demanding. You don't just JOIN this forum, you MARRY it! rofl

This is as far as I got. My wife was gone for the weekend and I was alone with four boys so this is pretty good progress for me. :laugh:

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss141/Gronk812/Radio%20Control/2012-01-08162900.jpg

Right now it's not backed with anything and it has been drying for over a day. It's a bit light but the film mask is still on it, should I put down another color over it?

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss141/Gronk812/Radio%20Control/2012-01-08163334.jpg

I wish Tamiya wouldn't pre-drill the body for the mounts. I would have liked to not have posts and clips on this body. Here it's just sitting on the M06 chassis.

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss141/Gronk812/Radio%20Control/2012-01-08163449.jpg

Hopefully tonight I can apply the decals which brings up another pet peeve. The included decal sheet isn't pre-cut so I will have to trim them all by hand. :rolleyes:

imthatguy
01-08-2012, 03:41 PM
Cutting your own decals is a rite of passage, don't knock it. I actually prefer cutting my decals myself, as I get to control how close I can cut them. Most pre-cut ones leave too much clear sticker border, which looks like hell IMO.

Colour's very nice, but you should back it with white or silver.

Headquake
01-08-2012, 04:17 PM
Silver then black. :biggthumpup:

A well placed sticker is an easy way to cover the body post holes.

imthatguy
01-08-2012, 05:57 PM
Silver then black. :biggthumpup:

A well placed sticker is an easy way to cover the body post holes.

Isn't that going to result in a darker overall orange?

Radioflyer
01-08-2012, 06:18 PM
Isn't that going to result in a darker overall orange?

That's what I'm looking for. :biggthumpup:

Headquake
01-08-2012, 06:46 PM
It'll get darker with just black, silver or white between the orange and black would keep it bright orange.
I'd put more layers of orange on before black as it may make it look brown.
:beerchug:

Radioflyer
01-08-2012, 06:59 PM
It'll get darker with just black, silver or white between the orange and black would keep it bright orange.
I'd put more layers of orange on before black as it may make it look brown.
:beerchug:

Yeah but it's way too light so maybe that would be a good thing.

I shoulda used the same paint that went on my car, I did keep a small touch up jar. Mind you, it's probably no good anymore. Oh well, there's always the outside for next time! :D

Radioflyer
02-22-2012, 07:10 PM
Got the paint and decals on finally. Yes I'm slow. :rolleyes:

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss141/Gronk812/Radio%20Control/IMG_4835Large.jpg

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss141/Gronk812/Radio%20Control/IMG_4834Large.jpg

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss141/Gronk812/Radio%20Control/IMG_4833Large.jpg

The decals kinda lift off in places and I'm not quite sure what to do about that but it's finished to look like the real Orange Crush. Next I'll be making the interior but I haven't got the parts yet so I don't expect to get an update on that anytime soon.

Also on the lookout for some wheels that look more like the Cheviot wheels I have on the 1:1.

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss141/Gronk812/stuff/BFGs_3m.jpg

If anybody has any ideas let me know. :biggthumpup:

street.terror
02-22-2012, 07:28 PM
these are close, the mesh is a little bigger then you 1:1's. I will keep hunting but RCmart has a pretty big selection of m chassis sized wheels.

http://www.rcmart.com/rc-mchassis-rims-kawada-tum26c-mesh-silver-wheel-mini-m300gt-p-33470.html?cPath=35_898

ol Swede
02-22-2012, 07:37 PM
Looking good, nice paint!! Kind of a different color but the longer I look at it the more I like it :biggthumpup:

matt c
02-22-2012, 11:01 PM
I like the Street look. I picked up some meshies from abc, but you've probably seen them already?

Radioflyer
02-23-2012, 06:23 AM
these are close, the mesh is a little bigger then you 1:1's. I will keep hunting but RCmart has a pretty big selection of m chassis sized wheels.

http://www.rcmart.com/rc-mchassis-rims-kawada-tum26c-mesh-silver-wheel-mini-m300gt-p-33470.html?cPath=35_898
Right on I will have a close look at those. :biggthumpup:

Looking good, nice paint!! Kind of a different color but the longer I look at it the more I like it :biggthumpup:
Thanks. That's what I thought when I painted the 1:1. I work for a school board and I used to tell everybody I used leftover school bus paint. :laugh: The color looked great on the little 1"x1" tile in the paint catalog but didn't quite have the same effect once it was on the car. It grew on me finally. :beerchug:

I like the Street look. I picked up some meshies from abc, but you've probably seen them already?

Yes I saw them and the mesh looks perfect, but there isn't much lip on the wheel so I'm not sure about them. I guess I could get a few sets and try my hand at modding them. Thinking maybe just cutting out the centers and gluing those into a different wheels might do the trick. :dry:

thejeepfreak
02-23-2012, 06:24 AM
It looks really cool, I like the color. :biggthumpup:

imthatguy
02-23-2012, 07:21 AM
Looks good!

As for the lifting decals, try using a heat gun (on low) or a hairdryer after they've been applied. Warm them up, then rub them down aggressively. They should stay put after that.

UNGLEWD
02-23-2012, 07:30 AM
I was also going to suggest the ABC wheels as they're the closest, ans like Matt says a heatgun works wonders on the decals (don't melt though) Car looks great buddy!

Radioflyer
02-23-2012, 07:31 AM
Looks good!

As for the lifting decals, try using a heat gun (on low) or a hairdryer after they've been applied. Warm them up, then rub them down aggressively. They should stay put after that.

Thanks bud, I'll give that a try. :)

street.terror
02-23-2012, 04:27 PM
where are pics of the 1:1 fb?

Radioflyer
02-23-2012, 05:37 PM
I was also going to suggest the ABC wheels as they're the closest, ans like Matt says a heatgun works wonders on the decals (don't melt though) Car looks great buddy!

Thanks man. :biggthumpup:

where are pics of the 1:1 fb?

I only have the one posted. It's in the first post. I'll see if I can dig up a few more.

street.terror
02-23-2012, 05:43 PM
fail on my part for not even looking at the first page of the build..... hahaha

Deric
02-24-2012, 07:06 AM
Looks great Sean, nothing like rebuilding an old 1:1 to bring back some good memories. Orange looks great!