PDA

View Full Version : tamiya primer: white vs grey?

rus-t
05-15-2011, 10:49 AM
Went down to my lhs to grab some grey tamiya primer for my latest project, but they only had the white tamiya primer. I couldnt tell from the bottle what the difference is between the white and grey, cus the label was in japanese. Anyone know if there is a difference between the two, or is it simply a different color?

UNGLEWD
05-15-2011, 11:04 AM
I think it's simply a different color to help with coverage.
I haven't found an obvious difference and have sprayed both.... sorry that's the best I can tell you

rus-t
05-15-2011, 11:34 AM
I think it's simply a different color to help with coverage.
I haven't found an obvious difference and have sprayed both.... sorry that's the best I can tell you

Thats kinda what I thought, wouldnt figure there would be any difference, cus they are both primers after all. thanks for the help kev!

Tanqueray
05-17-2011, 08:01 AM
I dunno what color your truck will be, but if you're interested, Canadian Tire has flat black primer in the automobile section, it's what i used on my jeep. Saved me some painting cause it was already the color of lotsa detailing that i had to do, cheap too :D

alan
05-17-2011, 11:02 AM
I haven't enough experience with both Tamiya primers to give any factual advice but while both primers will surely accept fresh paint equally, I would imagine that the reason for the grey is to offer somewhat better coverage of old colours.
For some time now, I've been using whatever primer I've had sitting on the shelf with perfectly acceptable results; Auto/home/model/whatever kind of primer.