PDA

View Full Version : Cutting and shutting questions

imthatguy
09-06-2010, 03:27 PM
New to the tire modding scene...

If I take a 2.2 size tire and cut it to fit a 1.9 wheel, will the width increase just by a function of a larger outer diameter being wrapped around a smaller rim? I'm trying to make a wider tire in order to have a larger contact patch.

imthatguy
09-10-2010, 05:04 PM
Never mind! I took the plunge and bought some 2.2 Losi Comp Claws and cut and shut them to 1.9! My first stab at this, so it didn't go perfectly, but I'm still quite happy with the results! Check it out!

Headquake
09-10-2010, 08:46 PM
Nice. I love the way 2.2s look after the cut. Now put it on a rim thats not too wide and it'll retain that bulge. Like how it flattens out the middle too. You'll have no problem in the trails with those tires. :laugh:

imthatguy
09-10-2010, 08:54 PM
Nice. I love the way 2.2s look after the cut. Now put it on a rim thats not too wide and it'll retain that bulge. Like how it flattens out the middle too. You'll have no problem in the trails with those tires. :laugh:

It's all because of the inspiration you gave me that day man! My imagination has been running wild since then. You should see all the material I picked up today for the Volvo build!

I had a bunch of Hummer rims sitting around, and even stock, I must say it looks pretty good all mounted up!

Headquake
09-10-2010, 09:00 PM
Yeah yeah. They look great on those rims. The little stock axial beadlocks could be cool too. Keep on creating. :rock:

madhatter
09-13-2010, 04:44 PM
Modded tires rule.:biggthumpup:
I looked the other day and I think I only have about one set that hasn't been reduced to some point. Even if its just a hair to make them bulge a bit.

Keep playing with them you get hooked.:beerchug: