PDA

View Full Version : body painting problems

2.0GT
07-28-2010, 06:25 PM
i'm just doing up a new body at the moment, ans was using up the last of a can of paint.
in one area of the body, i have a significant amount of bubbles.

its a lexan body, poly-c spray paint ( tamiya ). painting the inside.

do i scrape/sand the bubbles and re-apply, or should i just re-apply the paint?

any other suggestions?

weswins
07-28-2010, 06:29 PM
If you scrape/sand out the bubbles you will end up with swirls or VERY deep looking scratches that can NEVER be taken out. try a thinned out thinner to gently remove the affected area and then re-clean the surface.

Then try shooting the paint again.

GOOD LUCK!! :biggthumpup:

Also some pics of the finished body would be awesome!

2.0GT
07-28-2010, 06:54 PM
thanks wes!:biggthumpup:

next question though. i read on a forum i believe - of using DOT brake fluid to remove the paint - but i know its really corrosive.

you mentioned using thinner.
did you mean acetone, or ???

weswins
07-28-2010, 07:02 PM

I would stay away from brake fluid as its probably the worst thing to use if you want to keep your body intact.
Try using airbrush thinner for Tamiya RC paint (if that's what you are using) mixed with a little water on a soft cloth. Mix it with just a little water so you don't end up losing your entire paint job. It may take some time and a lot of patience but it will save your body.

Heinz57
07-28-2010, 08:39 PM
Just a good excuse to paint the outside and get some realistic damage.paint the rest of the inside brown to simulate rust .I tried to save a body but no go...one shot deal usually.

UNGLEWD
07-29-2010, 08:37 AM
thanks wes!:biggthumpup:

next question though. i read on a forum i believe - of using DOT brake fluid to remove the paint - but i know its really corrosive.

Ahhh no...don't use thinner, acetone (at least just yet) and never brake fluid.
Let everything dry/cure completely (seeing how your post was from yesterday this is probably already done)
1st question, is the spray metalic or solid color?
2nd did you already use thinners?
3rd when you sprayed on your coats, did you use light coats or thick
4th did you wash the body before paint?

Depending on where you're at this may be easily to salvage.

hippy
08-03-2010, 06:56 PM
200 grit wet sand. then 400 wet, then 800 wet. you be fine. just don't go to far and sand through.