PDA

View Full Version : Need motor suggestions for a mudder

hellstomper
03-28-2008, 11:01 AM
I am building a 2.2 mud bogger and I was just wondering what my options are.
I am gonna run a mamba max, r2, and hilift axles (for now anyway). I was thinking about a cobalt but they are all gone. I was also thinking about a goat or one of those bm-17 brushless motors at the crawler store.
what do you guys think? I want lots of wheelspeed and decent crawlability. Open to suggestions.

mrb
03-28-2008, 11:10 AM
good call, mudding is so fun.

your on the right track with the motor choice, as well as your esc and that.

Your r2 tranny is geared super low, you may have a hard time to gear for the wheel speed your going to need.

PM Cory or someone with an R2, but Cory is the one who used the r2 and informed me of the ultra low gearing. Just fyi.

The motor choices are on track, I have run the novak brushless system for years and love the wheel speed, that is why I keep using it actually. The slow torque is great for crawling days too.

Cobalt, wicked wheel speed, another good choice. I would asses the parts availability should you need brushes or replacement parts, I understand it has been difficult, but no more difficult say if the Novak cashes its chips and you have to send it in.

Can't wait to see the build of er.

b

hellstomper
03-28-2008, 11:28 AM
I am using an axial tranny right now and the gearing is pretty good for wheelspin, I just dont trust the gears in it and I dont like having a huge spur gear. I havn't tried my r2 yet, but I ordered a bunch of pinions for it. I guess we'll see what happens.

mrb
03-28-2008, 12:24 PM
for mud, if yours works, like you say, not having the big ol spur gear is cool.

looking forward to some boggin days, we will have to call for one once the trucks are ready...

corycrawler
03-28-2008, 06:42 PM
ya, the r2's no good for that, the teeth'll sharktooth quick with all that turning fast, super noisy, and even geared up theyre slow. mud truck=pede trans w. rpm gear cover and a goat on 7 cells :3gears:

hellstomper
03-28-2008, 08:09 PM
I went and picked up a goat system today from the lhs and within 10 mins of installing it I destroyed 2 perfectly good hilift diffs:biggthumpup:
and I have a cobalt 7t coming very soon, I can already hear the diffs exploding now.

corycrawler
03-28-2008, 08:50 PM
ya, the tlt/hilift pot metal gears suck, for these axles, the rcp steel ring and pinion is a must have item

hellstomper
03-29-2008, 12:00 PM
Yeah, its not the first time I fried my HL diffs, I think this will be the 4th set of ring and pinions. How do you think the rc4wd portals would last? I am thinking not long but they would be a good addition to a mudder.

BIGBIRD
03-30-2008, 08:17 PM
http://crawlcanada.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1187

hellstomper
03-31-2008, 07:32 AM
Thanks bigbird, but john just e-mailed me the other day and I got the last 7t.
I would've definetly bought yours if he didn't though.

edit- Oh yeah, I think I saw ecoli asking for a 7t on rcc.

ecoli
03-31-2008, 10:18 AM
I think John had one more 7t cobalt. At least it looks like he's invoicing me for one :D If he checks and he doesn't have one in, I'll probably take that one off your hands BB.