sbg  

RPP Associated
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Johnny Builds a Brat

Looks good!!
    I use those Servos too. MIGHT be a little overkill for that little Rig..... BUT, too much is always better than too little, right? You shouldn't ever have to replace it.

Here's the last batch of pictures before we start getting into some of the challenges. Here we've got a Holmes Hobbies Trailmaster Sport and a Hobbywing 1080 ESC. For my money, together they're a great value to get you up and running.

At this point I had a basic, functioning vehicle. The speed seems to be right in the ballpark of where I want it (we'll see if things run too hot due to the gearing once it gets on the trails). Overall, the build provided a lot of that "quirky" Tamiya fun.

Tamiya MF-01X Subaru Brat Build by johnny anguish, on Flickr

OK. This is where things start to go awry.

So my plan going into this build was to make what would essentially be a stock Brat, seats in the bed and all. In fact, seats in the bed was pretty much my primary goal going in. With that in mind, I grabbed the Tamiya body and placed it over the chassis.

Uh oh. The wheelbase is pretty close, but that's gonna sit way too high...

The issue with the MF-01x chassis is that it's really tall the whole way through. To make matters worse, the upper control arms of the rear suspension go up even higher when compressed. Now, Yeah Racing makes a kit to relocate the upper control arms, but that's still not going to get this body anywhere near where it needs to be. To get the body down to more of a "stock" Brat stance I'd need to cut out the bed and either raise it up and fake it or do a tonneau cover thing. Either way it would rule out the rear seats, which I desperately wanted to do.

Ugh. Feeling kind of defeated I started to think about if I really wanted to hack up the hard body or wait and try a different platform down the road. Then I remembered I have a couple of the Lexan Brat bodies stashed away. Those don't have a drop bed. Let's see how that would sit...

OK. The body is able to sit quite a bit lower (it also gave me an idea of where the hard body would sit if I hacked it up). Interestingly, the wheelbase of the Lexan body is noticeably longer. How odd! It also is much more squared off at the bottom, has a weird hump in the bed and is not nearly as detailed.

After mulling it over for quite a while, I decided to hold onto the hard body and try to find a different platform that would allow me to do a seats-in-the-back Brat. Since I had a couple of the Lexan bodies kicking around (and I've already made plans for the Mercedes body), I figured I'd try to make it work. It certainly won't look as good as a nicely detailed hard body, but I'm going to do what I can to salvage the project.

And that's how I got kicked out of the Scale Builder's Guild!

Sorry for you, I've been having similar problems trying to get my A team lunchbox onto an M06, I'm now going to try the wpl c24 route instead- for 30 it seems worth a go. I'm guessing the brat is a bit bigger, could it fit an MST chassis? I'd love to see those bed seats!

Quote Originally Posted by dagabba View Post
    Sorry for you, I've been having similar problems trying to get my A team lunchbox onto an M06, I'm now going to try the wpl c24 route instead- for 30 it seems worth a go. I'm guessing the brat is a bit bigger, could it fit an MST chassis? I'd love to see those bed seats!
    If I decide to go for a SAS Brat, then the MST chassis would work well. It would be easy to get the wheelbase right and the width would be good. I'm still on the lookout for something with independent suspension that I can make work. The drop bed on the Brat body isn't very deep, but the MF-01x chassis is unusually tall.

Ah yes, IFS, forgot that, sorry! CC01?

Default Johnny Builds a Brat

You will come up with something. Paint up that lexan body and get it on there. You did say your goal was to test your driving ability with the chassis. As you work on that, the idea for the hard body with come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12