sbg  

LockedUp RC
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Johnny Builds a Brat

Default Johnny Builds a Brat

I'm on a quest to build the most capable least capable trail rig I can. Building the MST CFX Bronco with its tiny tires was a ton of fun, but it's still a great performer out on the trails. I want a challenge!

"How about an even tinier tired Subaru Brat?"

Yes! Now you're talking, man inside my head! I love the Brat. I know there was a period of time when everybody and their mother built Brat scalers, but I missed that boat. Besides, most of those were built as solid axle rigs (at least in the rear). I want to do one that's pretty much what a stock Brat would be. That sounds like a wonderful awful idea.

"Enough chatter, chatterbox. Show me a picture."

OK...

Tamiya MF-01X Subaru Brat Build by johnny anguish, on Flickr

"That doesn't look like a Brat."

No, but it is a 4wd platform with independent suspension and a wheelbase pretty close to the Tamiya Brat body, so let's do this! I've been playing around with this off and on for a few months. It hasn't really gone as planned, so I've tried to just go with the flow and see where it takes me. No point in getting too stressed out over tiny trucks.

Wish me luck.

Love the Brat. Many have been built on the CC01 chassis, but like you said, not independent rear like the 1:1 Brat.

Look forward to seeing the Brat body on this chassis.

Quote Originally Posted by Small Factory View Post
    Love the Brat. Many have been built on the CC01 chassis, but like you said, not independent rear like the 1:1 Brat.

Look forward to seeing the Brat body on this chassis.
    Don't get too excited. I'm a hack compared to most of the SBG folks. I have fun, though!

We're all hacks.

I'm intrigued, and can't wait to see more of this bratty kid.
    SBG OWNER YOUTUBE AXIAL AMBASSADOR GCM TEAM DRIVER VANQUISH KNIGHT CUSTOMS TEAM

Here are the first few pics from the build. So far pretty much straight up according to the manual. I did lock both differentials with the gear method. I also added a set of bearings.

I may end up unlocking the diffs at some point for a couple of reasons. One, I think this tiny truck is going to be challenged in the turning radius department. Two, I think it might be "fun" with a more limited slip type of setup out on the trails. I'll make that decision after I've run it a bit.

I'd personally unlock the front: Much more fun. Possibly just some thick diff-fluid up front (100k-300k)?

This ain't no rock crlwlrerr.

Subie guy here, subbing. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
    We're all hacks.

I'm intrigued, and can't wait to see more of this bratty kid.
    Seeing as the Brat is over 35 years old, it should probably be renamed the Curmudgeon.

Quote Originally Posted by Small Factory View Post
    I'd personally unlock the front: Much more fun. Possibly just some thick diff-fluid up front (100k-300k)?

This ain't no rock crlwlrerr.
    That's kinda how I'm leaning now. Since I've got the chassis all button up I'll probably run it with the locked diffs for a bit and then try some putty or heavy diff oil down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by PendulumRC View Post
    Subie guy here, subbing. Good luck!
    Thanks! I'll need it.
    Last edited by JohnnyAnguish; 01-12-2019 at 01:37 PM. Reason: To many periods..

I started with Tamiya back in 1985, and am STILL a Fan!!! I've been wanting to do a Hardbody version of the BRAT for quite some time. Just haven't figured out WHAT to put under it......(and the FROG ORV Chassis isn't even an afterthought!!)

The MF-01 isn't a bad idea, being 4-wheel independent Suspension and 4WD..... But that's a SERIOUSLY....uh..... "challenging" platform. But that sounds like what you're looking for.
    I was leaning towards the MST CMX.... But we all have to choose our own paths.

I'll definitely be following, with anticipation and curiosity. No matter WHAT, this will be COOL!!

Here are a few more pics. Again, pretty much a straight up build according to the manual at this point. I used these DS3218MG servos in my CFX, TT02 and Dancing Rider builds. They've worked OK in those applications, so I thought I'd try one here to keep the costs down.

The pogo sticks won't be staying...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast