sbg  

LockedUp RC

Thread: First crawler, learning how to weather

Default First crawler, learning how to weather

Considering that there are not many guys that I know near me to learn from, Iím gonna post this here. Iím looking for feedback. Am I going in the right direction? Is it over done?
    I figured I would practice on the back of the rim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good start.

I weathered a set of these wheels myself years ago, which you can see here...

http://scalebuildersguild.com/forum/...scale-attempts

I would just use some paint to dull down the orange fresh rust on the outside. Then I use steel wool #0000 to soften and smooth it out a bit, then once you get it where you want it, some flat clear will lock it in.

Personally I think itís a bit too much. And as mentioned that bright orange needs to be toned down. Too fresh. With weathering less is more.
    SBG Junior Vice President RC4WDCASTLEGCM

[QUOTE=Small Factory;283416]Good start.

Thanks for the input. I glanced at that thread. That looks great. Thatís the kind of stuff that motivated me to look at something besides racing.

Quote Originally Posted by pardonmyn00b View Post
    Personally I think itís a bit too much. And as mentioned that bright orange needs to be toned down. Too fresh. With weathering less is more.
    I appreciate your honesty. Thatís what I was looking for.
    Would you suggest spreading the finish out thinner or using pigments. I tried. pigments at first but it had no depth to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan197 View Post
    I appreciate your honesty. Thatís what I was looking for.
    Would you suggest spreading the finish out thinner or using pigments. I tried. pigments at first but it had no depth to it.

Iím assuming thatís a two part rusting system youíve used. Works great but has the tendency to go on heavy. Iíve gone back to using artists oils or acrylics for rust and weathering myself. More controllable. You could probably soften what you have with a darker brown wash over that.
    SBG Junior Vice President RC4WDCASTLEGCM