sbg  

GearHead

Thread: Why are flat frame-rails bad?

Default Why are flat frame-rails bad?

Hi,
    I am quite a nob in 1/10 scalers, so can someone please answer this question?

Do not see a reason.
    Weight? OK - but in scalers people often add weight to get a low CG.
    Strength? - Well, those massiv flat framerails seem a lot more sturdy than normal C-channel steel rails.
    Scale look? Maybe this is a reason, donno...

Why are the flat rails so bad?

Have bought one of those really cheap flat D-90 frames at Aliexpress (for about 20 bucks) and have built a D-90. In my less than 1 year career in building 1/10 "scale-cars" I have built 2 c-channel crawlers so far, 2 Tamiyas, and this D-90 with cheapest Aliexpress flat framerails (and acessories). Loved to build the D-90.
    Cannot see the reason why these flat rails are "bad" or "worse", please explain to me.

Maybe it is performance?
    Have to admit, I do not drive my cars a lot, I love building, painting, making electronics and light systems, etc. (also have about 15 micro cars) - but drive them rarely. Have to/want to/do go to the field nearly every single day with good weather, but normally go with my helicopters and planes, and very rarely with a car

THX for explanation, why I should not buy another cheap flat frame in future (BTW: the Reely Axial SCX10 2 "copy" called Freemen seems to have a flat frame).

Walter

I dont know the exact answer....

But flat steel will flex although it seems quite strong a c chanel is stronger.

its due to the forming of the steel something with bends is harder to bend.

Hope that helps

Matt
    If In Doubt Give It A Clout.

Hi Matt,
    thank you for your answer, but I guess, I cannot agree in this case.

It is only a guess, but those C-Channel-steel frame rails are IMO much, much easier to bend than those "flat" (but much more massive - so not "flat" at all) rails.

I am talking about a frame like this one (this is a flat frame, isn't it?), this is what I am using in my D90.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D90-frame-1.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	23522 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D90-frame-2.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	14.3 KB 
ID:	23521

Weight/bend ratio is for sure much better in c-channel rails than in massive flat rails, but weight is not a problem in scale crawlers, at least "low Center weight", many pilots put additional weights to rims and axles.

Walter

Default Why are flat frame-rails bad?

So you mean a non C-channel frame? Yeah, RC4WD has been doing it for years and they’re great. Who says they are bad? Trail Finder 2, Gelande 2. The original Tamiya Hilux had aluminum “flat” frame rails in 81. Does that answer your question?
    Last edited by pardonmyn00b; 10-31-2018 at 03:47 PM.
    SBG Junior Vice President RC4WDCASTLEGCM

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by pardonmyn00b View Post
    Who says they are bad?
    guess it was Josh/Harley Designs in one of his elder videos (must have been either the MST CFX-W build or the old live stream to his thoughts on the Axial SCX2).
    Did I understand something wrong?
    If they are not bad, this answered my question - Thank you!

Walter

Quote Originally Posted by pardonmyn00b View Post
    So you mean a non C-channel frame? Yeah, RC4WD has been doing it for years and they’re great. Who says they are bad? Trail Finder 2, Gelande 2. The original Tamiya Hilux had aluminum “flat” frame rails in 81. Does that answer your question?
    Hi,
    found that even GCM Racing Skeleton frames are flat... would have not asked my question, if I would have checked this before
    However, Josh from Harley Designs repeated this "flat frames are outdated" statement in his very actual SCX kit building video on Youtube. Maybe I understood something wrong, because I am not a native speaker…

Walter