sbg  

LockedUp RC
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Hungarian Qualisport Dakar Race Truck 1/14th Scale

The truck's exterior side wall vents, two per side, will function as cool air flow suppliers to the electronics, esc, motor and batteries respectively. Each will have its own supply.

The esc will sink into the wall with only the heat sink fins, fan and motor leads visible. I'll paint them to look like scale equipment.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Hello all. This is the hardest part for me, getting some assemblance of organization with the wiring. For the last week now, I've spent an hour or two every night dinging around with wires.... I finally am starting to get somewhere.

The idea for the architecture of my truck is to be able to remove the electrical components as a pod of sorts. Drop it in, plug it up, and the truck is ready to go. When I need to work on the electronics or swap something out, etc.; the idea is to remove this pod and then I have the ability to then work on it at the workbench without reaching through the truck and its roll cage, chassis, etc. I'm just shooting for general ease of access. Conversely, with the pod out of the way, the access to the truck, chassis, transmission, etc. is going to be easier. Hopefully. That's the idea anyway.

This pod will also be one of the few areas that will be completely fictitious. So, I have some room to make it look however I want. Fortunately, it won't be seen unless the side wall doors are open. The pod is one of 3 layers of construction as I currently see it. The pod is attached to the chassis and is removable. Around it and also attached to the chassis is a roll cage and structure. On top of the roll cage and structure will be the visual skin of the truck that will consist of styrene sheets backed by square tube structures with the side doors and hinges built in. The top of the truck will consist of cross members connecting the two sides and then covered with fabric that has been printed on by my inkjet printer. I'll make some graphics of a dusty yellow fabric with texture, exhaust marks, stretch marks, and the like. The edges of the fabric will be glued to strip magnets on each side that in turn snap to the skin which snaps over the roll cage with envelops the removable pod.

Ok. Enough already.

Here's a video of this crazy monster. All the battery leads are covered with flex tubes so they can unplug from the system and plug into my charger without too much trouble. I'm hoping they'll look good when airbrushed with caution signs on them written in Hungarian. Well, that's a whole lot of talking I'm doing and not a whole lot of cool model building. Patience.

Here's a video of me muttering about this thing. All the interior compartments will have intake and exhaust vents that are supposed to line up with the external skin's vents as shown in the full scale truck. Gotta have good airflow. This is like my rough draft in which things keep getting glued on, moved and adjusted to get things to fit. Or hopefully fit eventually.

That's a lot of wiring!!

Nice work, I'd be very confused!

I am confused. Actually, I know where all the wires are supposed to go, it just the organization that kills me. Where and how to stick them out of the way, but with enough flex for hatches to open. Some wires need to pull out for recharging, some can be permanent. I'm a newbie! It's funny, last night I thought to myself that I had not actually turned it on in quite some time just to check if things have been connected properly. I had my doubts, but it all powered up accordingly with the welcoming glow of the exposed LEDs.

I'm sure the effectual effect will be awesome!

I've been working diligently every night, not much to show for it yet though.... The wiring is really crazy difficult for me, to much disorganization spins my head. But, it's coming together and I was able to power it up and drive it around, everything functioned fine, although I have to reprogram the ESC.

I'll update with photos soon.

Starting to detail one side of the pod. I propped up some unfinished pieces, and snapped some pix. Once assembled, I'll blend things together with the airbrush and some weathering powder.

Much, much more to come. I've spent a great deal of time on the computer making decals....

20181027_174708.jpg

Another shot with tires for scale.

Adding more pieces, still many coats of paint and weathering to go before this pod side is complete and can be glued together.

I will probably make a sensible moving vehicle that influences, inclines and for the most part has the material science of the full scale truck...

http://fromcuptocrop.com.au/

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456