sbg  

LockedUp RC

Thread: How to Glue Hard Body ABS Plastic??

Default How to Glue Hard Body ABS Plastic??

Hey guys...
    What is the best glue for hard body ABS?

I just used a soldering iron when I bobbed my hilux bed... is there other options?

Also..
    I am adding some comp to my hilux... So I cut the doors but want to fill in the door to make it look thick... Is styrene the best for this?

I guess my ultimate question is can I glue styrene to the ABS hardbody?

Thanks ive been scouring threads and you tube videos!
    Last edited by ToyRCota88; 09-14-2018 at 09:22 PM. Reason: More Info

You can glue styrene to ABS. The S in ABS is styrene. Lots of us like to use MEK as the glue. Actually it’s a solvent that welds the plastic. You find that in the paint thinner section at the hardware store.
    SBG Junior Vice President RC4WDCASTLEGCM

Quote Originally Posted by pardonmyn00b View Post
    You can glue styrene to ABS. The S in ABS is styrene. Lots of us like to use MEK as the glue. Actually it’s a solvent that welds the plastic. You find that in the paint thinner section at the hardware store.
    THANKS nOOb!

Do you recommend any place in particular thats a good vendor... I tried looking through the SBG Vendors and saw so far only LOOPS RC has some styrene but no MEK? I see they have CA glue? Is this a similar glue?
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ToyRCota88 View Post
    THANKS nOOb!

Do you recommend any place in particular thats a good vendor... I tried looking through the SBG Vendors and saw so far only LOOPS RC has some styrene but no MEK? I see they have CA glue? Is this a similar glue?
    Thanks!
    A vendor for MEK? Lowe’s or Home Depot. CA (cyanoacrylate) is commonly known as regular ol’ super glue. I would not recommend that for styrene to styrene applications. The bond is too brittle because of the slickness of the plastic.

I've used MEK on my Corvette FIA GT3 project and my Fat Cat Jag Speedster. Both were Monogram 1/8 bodies and were shortened and required a strong bond. I did some reinforcement underneath with excess plastic and all of it was bonded with MEK. it has been great. One thing I did was to take plastic shavings from sanding scraps of the body plastic and mixing it with MEK to make a butter of sorts and used that for do a preliminary fill of the joints so they wouldn't flex and so that the regular putty used over the top to hide the joint wouldn't be prone to cracking. MEK is Methyl Ethyl Ketone. Use a mask and good ventilation when applying as the vapors will give you a head ache.

Quote Originally Posted by JunkGTZ View Post
    I've used MEK on my Corvette FIA GT3 project and my Fat Cat Jag Speedster. Both were Monogram 1/8 bodies and were shortened and required a strong bond. I did some reinforcement underneath with excess plastic and all of it was bonded with MEK. it has been great. One thing I did was to take plastic shavings from sanding scraps of the body plastic and mixing it with MEK to make a butter of sorts and used that for do a preliminary fill of the joints so they wouldn't flex and so that the regular putty used over the top to hide the joint wouldn't be prone to cracking. MEK is Methyl Ethyl Ketone. Use a mask and good ventilation when applying as the vapors will give you a head ache.
    Quote Originally Posted by pardonmyn00b View Post
    A vendor for MEK? Lowe’s or Home Depot. CA (cyanoacrylate) is commonly known as regular ol’ super glue. I would not recommend that for styrene to styrene applications. The bond is too brittle because of the slickness of the plastic.
    THANK YOU GENTLEMEN!

Sorry im such a Noob Guys... No offense to any other noobs here.. Being a noob is not a bad thing.. Haha...

But all ive found is gallon containers of this MEK... Is that what yall using... Cause wow that seems like overkill for such a tiny hobby...

Haha... Do yall put it in sumthin else ?

Default How to Glue Hard Body ABS Plastic??

A gallon will last you a lifetime. I keep mine in an old Ambroid Pro-weld bottle. Has a little brush in the cap. Stuck it in an old tire so I don’t spill as easily.

If you want a wimpy sized bottle of solvent you can get micro mark “same stuff”. But for the price of 8oz of that you can get a gallon of MEK.

Or try clear PVC pipe cleaner. Secret ingredient is MEK. And it also has acetone in it which also melts plastic. And your lungs. And probably your brain.
    Last edited by pardonmyn00b; 09-20-2018 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ToyRCota88 View Post
    Sorry im such a Noob Guys... No offense to any other noobs here.. Being a noob is not a bad thing.. Haha...

But all ive found is gallon containers of this MEK... Is that what yall using... Cause wow that seems like overkill for such a tiny hobby...

Haha... Do yall put it in sumthin else ?
    I got a smaller quart size at Home Depot. Not sure what vendors you have where you are at, but you shouldn't have to buy the big one. That size is mostly for stripping adhesive off of floors like when you remove vinyl flooring. (Been there, done that.)

Thanks guys.. Yes I think this will strip my lungs perfectly wait what... I mean brain... wait Floor.. No....

Haha.... Thanks for the help..

As imthatguy said... MEK stands for May Eventually Kill...

I plan on wearing a mask doing this stuff...