sbg  

RPP Cross 2018
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how do i braze properly?

Quote Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
    And build it in your bed.
    And if you canít braze in your bed at least do it on top of the washing machine.
    SBG Junior Vice President RC4WDCASTLEGCM

Quote Originally Posted by pardonmyn00b View Post
    And if you can’t braze in your bed at least do it on top of the washing machine.
    Thanks Guys! Great tips... I also charge my lipos in bed while I sleep.. so thats perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by Wrencher View Post
    the stuff noob suggested is the best. I actually buy it at a auto parts store. when using it on steel you will need a MAP gas torch. propane will not be hot enough. Map is too hot for brass.
    thanks wrencher,i'll make sure to pick up that stuff!i look forward to giving brazing a shot!

- Good planning is a key for good results. Prepare your working area.
    - Know your materials, study metals and different methods how they are worked with.
    - Practise few times to some scrap pieces when trying new equipment or materials to figure out the best method for current situation
    - When doing hot work, always handle your pieces as they were hot. Even if you may know that your piece is not hot yet, still treat it as one ie. touch only with pliers or such. Respect heat.
    - Look for the colour of the heating metal, you'll learn fast to see when it's hot enough to melt the silver.
    - You should let the silver be melted only by the transferring heat ie. do not melt it in direct flame.
    - Heat transfers fast, use fire bricks etc between your piece and vice bench.
    - Bed is for other kind of hot work unless you are a real big fan of Midnight Oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Halme View Post
    - Know your materials, study metals and different methods how they are worked with.
    - Practise few times to some scrap pieces when trying new equipment or materials to figure out the best method for current situation
    - When doing hot work, always handle your pieces as they were hot. Even if you may know that your piece is not hot yet, still treat it as one ie. touch only with pliers or such. Respect heat.
    - Look for the colour of the heating metal, you'll learn fast to see when it's hot enough to melt the silver.
    - You should let the silver be melted only by the transferring heat ie. do not melt it in direct flame.
    - Bed is for other kind of hot work unless you are a real big fan of Midnight Oil.
    Treating all metal as always hot is a great tip.... Im always grabbing hot trays out of the oven? still....

Question... Does it make a lot of Fumes... Is Ventilation and a Mask a good idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Halme View Post
    thanks for all that info halme,this is really gonna help me out!:)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12