sbg  

GearHead
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Manitou FJ55

looking nice

I'm watching this thread with a pair of binoculars all the way from Asia.

What glue do you use?

Thanks guys.

I used Loctite brand gel super glue. I watched a couple videos, read whatever I could, even emailed Manatou asking if they had a preference of glues. No response from him, and most of the videos and testimonials said regular crazy glue worked best. I glued it all together, then when complete, I added additional glue to all of the joints and unions. Seems quite strong I must say.

Quote Originally Posted by pardonmyn00b View Post
    I thought PLA was impervious to acetone?
    Thatís what I thought/understood also - all the 3d print nerds on YouTube say so.

You know whatís good, though? A pen sander. I got my Bronco body and pen sander in the mail last week and decided to try it out on some of the glue seams. Itís pretty delicious.

you use acetone vapors for smooth surface of 3D printed objects. never put any plastic to acetone liquid it will melt it

Quote Originally Posted by pardonmyn00b View Post
    I thought PLA was impervious to acetone?
    I'll have to ask Dion what he's printing with. Looks like PLA to me and it's definitely melting the outer layer.

Edit** It's PLA and acetone is definitely smoothing just as well as my abs tests. We're not talking about dipping plastic into a barrel of acid here. Brushing on or using Acetone vapors to smooth is a pretty slow process that really only effects the outer layers.

I have also been considering picking up a Proxxon Pen Sander......guess these bodies will be the perfect excuse to pull the trigger!

Default Manitou FJ55

Quote Originally Posted by pera2008 View Post
    you use acetone vapors for smooth surface of 3D printed objects. never put any plastic to acetone liquid it will melt it
    So youíve tested that method on these PLA bodies?

we use it for 3D printed PLA scale accesories to smooth surface and not peal too much

Quote Originally Posted by pera2008 View Post
    we use it for 3D printed PLA scale accesories to smooth surface and not peal too much
    Doesnít exactly answer the question. I guess someone here will have to actually demonstrate that it does actually work for these bodies. If it does, could be a big deal.

print one test piece, put it into can on stand, put acetone on bottom and cover it for 10 minutes. test piece must be on stand not in acetone. Make that piece with some detailed 3D parts and you will be surprised
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZUfq0yrtv4
    he do with small vapor content, but goal is to have strong vapor in it, not like he did, that he created vapors and then he left them escape and try to smooth it. But it may be that it will not work that way on all PLA

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast