sbg  

RPP Roll out of Summer 2018
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skyline Kenmeri

Default Skyline Kenmeri

Hello everyone! I'm not an english speaking guy, sorry if some mistakes appear.)

I love Japanese classic cars, and for that reason i wanted to build one in scale. ABC hobby make great bodies, so i've picked one shakotan styled skyline. I wanted it to be more classic and less agressive, so picked the most soothing color for it. Red is to mainstream, as the white one. Black will hide all the little shapes. Pink is just not for this particular body. By the way, it is my second time working with lexan body. The first one was back in 2011 when i just entered this hobby.

The body itself comes stock, but you are recieving lots of parts to make it true shakotan.

Also i've ordered hayashi street wheels and watanabes to suit the classic car. Hate to see huge wheels on such bodies.

Very good tip to paint outer parts of lexan is to cut the wrapping of the body and use it as masking.

Hope you will enjoy the process,

Yaroslav

Excellent!

I have the same body at home awaiting paint. Some day I will get it done.

I also have the Hakosuka from ABC. I posted pictures a few threads down from this one. They are very nice bodies with great details.

Well done so far and excited to follow your progress.

Cory

Thatís a nicely detailed body from the looks of it
    SBG Junior Vice President RC4WDCASTLEGCM

Clearly not your first build, the attention to detail is already obvious! Looking forward to more updates!

Thank you guys!
    Here are the next steps:

For the rear lights i used wrap-up 3d decals + tamiya laque. 3 coats were enough, but i wanted to add some depth to them.

It was the pleasure to paint all of the parts for the front grill

Then i painted oll the "rubber" with black mat Bosny, it suits well for such appliance and has good adhesion.
    The first step is to cut the wrapping of the body where is needed, then you spray it and voila!
    But i've made a huge mistake painting all the chrome moldings with chrome Bosny and masking tape. The specific of metall-effects paint is its liquidity. As to achieve mirror effect you need to apply some thick coat that WILL flow under masking tape ( but not under the body wrapping). So the tip from me: if you want to spray chome from outside - try to avoid using masking tape and use only chipped out areas of the wrapping.
    At this point i did not know about chrome paint for lexan, especially Alclad2. But we have what we have, and i've learned from own mistakes and will avoid them in the future.

Here is the result of using masking tape with chrome spray. I used 3M masking tape, so it is not the case of bad tape.

By the way the bumpers turned out very well.
    The idea to fix the silvered moldings is to make chrome wrap decals.
    It was the tricky one to cut out from the wrap, but see how good it turned out

This is how the body looks now. More details to come!

Hope you enjoy,

Yaroslav

Well done. Nice fix. Looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by ShopGTR View Post
    Well done. Nice fix. Looks great!
    Thank you!

Got some pictures. Enjoy!

Awesome I just started a Hakosuka and will be happy if it looks half as good as your Skyline!!

Great pictures!

Love the colour choice. I keep looking at these bodies but never buy. This thread just changed my mind. Going to look at getting one. Awesome job!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast