sbg  

RPP ProLine 2018
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1966 CitroŽn H

Default 1966 CitroŽn H

Listed my unfinished builds on Instagram the other day, and forgot about the CitroŽn H panel van I started, I think a year or so ago, if not earlier. Here's a reference pic.

The premise was for it to be a fun build, manned by my Wild Willy collection, selling coffee or spares or running some other shady business out of it.

The Wild Willy figures aren't done yet either. The guy on the left will be a Repsol rep. The blue helmet (not completed painting that) is on a 1:6 scale head sculpt of Michelle Rodrigues. The others are also in various states of incompletion. Not shown is Moto Willy, who'll be the driver.

I'd originally wanted to put it onto an MST CMX, but the centre motor placement on the CMX scuppered that plan. And so I got myself a CFX, to see how that goes. If the CFX bombs as well it's going on a TT-02, which happens to also have a 252mm wheelbase.

And yes, these things weren't offroaders. This is intended to be a fun build so whilst I'll try to remain as accurate as possible, I'm going to concede some realism to make it 4WD. Might also stylize parts of the body to match the caricature nature of Wild Willy...

Ah yeah, this is the good stuff. Still rooting for a Mission: Impossible vibe

Outstanding, cant wait to see you color outside the lines a little bit (the more I do this the more I can appreciate making something your own)

Quote Originally Posted by onetruescooty View Post
    Ah yeah, this is the good stuff. Still rooting for a Mission: Impossible vibe
    Yeah. About that. I'm getting the craziest requests - fish vendor, hipster coffee shoppe, diner, ice cream van... Need to think of something that makes Wild Willies and Wendies look like they belong.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtbham View Post
    Outstanding, cant wait to see you color outside the lines a little bit (the more I do this the more I can appreciate making something your own)
    Yeah it's going to be interesting. I keep getting drawn back to keeping things as accurate as possible, so this one's forcing me to relax a bit.

Got the CFX assembled. I like the kit. A lot. And yet as anyone who's done one can tell you, there are some questionable things in there. 2 e-clips per damper. Seriously? I thought e-clips went extinct with the dinosaurs. I struggle with e-clips. Also has servo on axle which I'm not a fan of. And it comes with a spur gear, but no pinion.

Italian Willy also got his green stripe on his helmet today.

Oh and the axles have heavy duty lockers. In plastic. I dig it.

There are many things you could do to this to make it better. But I won't. Because it's a fun build and it's hardly going to get hammered. So no upgrades. Not even ball bearings. Oh I did replace the plastic wheel hexes with metal ones.

I do like it though, so doubt this will be my last.

It looks already a fun party. A good choice of truck. It will match those figures very well, I am sure.
    Hiroki

Quote Originally Posted by luckland View Post
    It looks already a fun party. A good choice of truck. It will match those figures very well, I am sure.
    I hope so

The rough-cut body is done, so can start on some details. Going to get it mounted properly first. Suspect I might make the wheel arches a bit bigger. Unless I stick with 70mm Tamiya rally tires (the 2.2 Prolines on there now are 90mm ō, arches 80mm ō).

It's all my fault for digging up the past :p

South of the Mason Dixon just slightly, WV

Off to a great start.

Quote Originally Posted by cooper View Post
    It's all my fault for digging up the past :p
    Glad you did. This is an extraordinarily fun build. I remember it being fun when I started way back whenever, and having more fun with it now. Just wonder what it was that came up that made me set it aside.

Quote Originally Posted by NewGuy View Post
    Off to a great start.

Been messing with wheels and tires, and ride height. Wanted to go over the top with wheels (spinners would've been fun). The 90mm Prolines on 2.2s could work, and I could lower the body if I widenened the arches a bit.

Decided to go with the closer-to-stock-sized 75mm Tamiya tires instead (these are the ones you get on the Amarok and I think also the Freedlander). It's not going to leave much space beneath the axles, but this isn't exactly a competition-bred truck either...

And I say that knowing I'll see just how far I can push this thing over impossible obstacles when it's done

South of the Mason Dixon just slightly, WV

Looks like a fun build.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast