sbg  

LockedUp RC
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traxxas UDR

Default Traxxas UDR

Finally got a moment to take a few outside pictures. I've painted a couple pieces, removed a few stickers, added Yeah Racing harnesses and fuel line as breather hose, made a titanium skid plate, switched wheel nuts to Locked Up RC M5 Ultra Hubs, and added Baja Design headlights (a perfect replacement for the stock decals) and a Pro Line light bar. Need to make some battery terminals and wires for the Pro Line batteries as well. I had painted the stock batteries but thought the Pro Lines looked a bit more realistic.

Love the truck. Much more fun off road. A brief run on pavement caused a traction roll and snapped the rear trailing arm. I filled the new set with a plastic epoxy in hopes to make them a bit more durable.

Thanks,
    Cory

Painting those details really brings it to life Cory. Nice work so far. You're the first guy to break something I think!
    SBG OWNER YOUTUBE AXIAL AMBASSADOR GCM TEAM DRIVER VANQUISH KNIGHT CUSTOMS TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
    Painting those details really brings it to life Cory. Nice work so far. You're the first guy to break something I think!

Thanks!

I'm not proud of the damage. I had been so good at keeping it rubber side down. I took it up to work to show everyone and when top speeding down the street a car parked on the side pulled out. I hit the brakes and turned but it traction rolled and hit just right to snap the right rear trailing arm.

Here's a couple pictures of the cut outs for the lights as I did rears today. I painted the lens with Tamiya tail light red and I have to say it almost has a hint of orange which I think works out perfectly on this truck.

Lights are mounted to switch on passenger side dash. Looks somewhat scale and you can easily tap them on/off.

Changed the batteries to Pro Line yellow tops as there was too much red going on. Added a Rotopax I had laying around to cover some of the view of the speed control. Did some wiring on the batteries with terminals I got from Shapeways. Added some decals cuz I'm like a kid with stickers.

Otherwise still loving the truck. Took it to some open fields over the weekend and had a blast. The skid plate has proven its value. Might try and make a rear diff skid plate as well.

Did swap the servo again for a much stronger Savox 1270 with much higher torque than the one I had tried before. I ditched the stock one before it had the chance to break...the replacement was OK but needed more power. The 1270 is perfect.

One more because I admit I'm a dork.

Used some silver masking tape, like the kind you use on your attic air ducting, on the back side of the radiator behind the fans. It allows you to actually see the fans in there. Excuse my crappy flashlight picture. It's much better out in the sun.

Found a huge roll of 3M dynoc at my shop. Figured why not. Did a very quick job, figured it'd get messed up and such so it's not perfect.

Found a better matching orange, only downside had to airbrush it. Had a spare set of helmets so I gave it a shot.

And did the brakes in the better match orange as well.

Then took it out and had a blast running it.

Cory

Next up is painting the driver's suits...I guess.

Did you use longer screws for the baja bezel?

Quote Originally Posted by Issac View Post
    Did you use longer screws for the baja bezel?
    No because I couldn't find a similar enough longer screw. Longer would help, but instead I used Shoe Goo to ensure it stayed in place.

So I purchased a clear body with the intent of painting it. Got the bug to cut some titanium plates for the side panels of the body. Thought it'd be cool if you could see them. Decided to sticker up the clear body, no lights on this one as I thought they might shine all over the place in the clear body, and give it a go. I'm making a few more titanium plates for the front sticker'd front panels at some point in the near future.

I also added a servo to the passenger head, but I have him turn opposite the steering servo. I thought it looked cooler than with the turn. On left turns he looks out at you. I'll put a video on my instagram, atlanticmotorsports, as I don't know if I can host it on my photobucket setup. If I can I'll try.

I enjoy messing with these trucks as much as actually running them, so it took some time to paint the clear interior from the inside, but worth it in the end. Then added Exclusive RC interior bits. Yeah racing harnesses.

Hope you enjoy,
    Cory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast