sbg  

RPP Axial 2018
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: D90 Winch Challenge Pickup

Quote Originally Posted by valheru View Post
    Update 13 – January 24, 2018:

Good progress on project D90 Winch Challenge Pickup; I installed all the electronics including custom harnesses everywhere since some of the components were previously used in my Wraith.

All the components were waterproofed using silicone conformal coating on the printed circuit boards and liquid electrical tape or Plasti Dip on the housings.

The winch was hardwired to a HeyOk high voltage winch controller, which is programmed into Aux1 of the transmitter, therefore no separate remotes required to operate, and the controller has switchable dual power input: either thru the BEC (7.2V) or direct to the battery for the full 3S when more oomph is required.

Steering duty is taken care of by a Hitec HS-7954SH servo directly which is powered by a Castle Creation 10A BEC set at 7.2V, motor control is thru a Tekin FXR ESC and the battery plugs were swapped to Dean connectors.

This ended up being a fairly clean install with the only visible wires being a portion of the winch harness were it loops around the edge of the body before joining the rest of the motor wires which only a small portion of it didn’t fit under the floor of the interior, therefore I had to run it parallel to the inside of the frame rail for a bit.

Now, I just need to figure out what brushed motor to run on 3S LiPo; so far I tried the Traxxas 550 can 21T, 540 can 45T and 55T. Love the torque of the 21T, but way too fast for the D90, and the 55T has the proper speed, but half the torque of the 21T...

I might give a call to Holmes Hobbies for a recommendation.

I re-installed the stock 90mm shocks since I was having rubbing issues on the body with the 4.45” tires. Still has plenty of flex, but will need to find some 3-4mm wide hexes to bring the tires back under the flares. The 80mm Gmade RSD shocks are awesome, but better sized for 4 to 4.25” tires, nothing bigger.

Next on the list to complete the electronics will be the light kit once the 3mm LED kit I ordered arrive.

D
    Did you try your 4.19 Hustlers instead of the 4.45?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Blackgold View Post
    Did you try your 4.19 Hustlers instead of the 4.45?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, I have both sizes of 1.9" Hustler mounted; the 4.19" on gun metal wheels are a tad bit on the small size for my taste, and the 4.45" on black wheels are a tad bit too big...

I'll wait till I am closer to a finish product with this build to decide which I will run.

D

Update 14 – January 25, 2018:

Next on my to-do list is the relocation of the radiator to the cargo box since the 8274 winch sits in the location of the stock radiator.

For this I ordered the EXO Rear Light Bezel and Radiator Set (AX80103) from Axial and from Shapeways 2 different designs of oil coolers.

D

Update 15 – January 28, 2018:

I wasn’t happy with the scale of the 1:10 Axial radiator in relation to the scale of the Team Raffee D90 body which is closer to 1:8.82 (when calculated against the dimensions of an actual D90).

Therefore I scratch built a radiator out of styrene and tie-wraps and made it 20% bigger than the 1/10 Axial one which is still of use as I will be reusing the fans from the Axial kit, but will add a shroud to the radiator like a real one would have.

As part of the radiator relocation, I made a radiator mounting bracket which will be fixed directly to the cargo box with all the hardware hidden, which includes a tab to mount an external oil cooler.

Both the oil cooler and the radiator will be fitted with rigid piping; the cooler one is made with the corners of scree of a plastic model kit and the radiator piping will be made out if either 1/4” steel rod or brake line or styrene rod.

While I was in styrene work, I added a small section to the front inner fenders to prevent infiltration of mud and debris at the junction between the inner fender and the body mounts/under armour.

D

Love the radiator and oil cooler, can't have too many pipes!

Quote Originally Posted by dagabba View Post
    Love the radiator and oil cooler, can't have too many pipes!
    Thanks and yes, pipes are awesome!

Update 16 – January 30, 2018:

My custom radiator build and the installation of the external oil cooler are almost complete; I made a radiator shroud like all proper race setup have in order to draw cool air over the entire surface of the radiator versus only where the fans are located.

To cut the hole to the required diameter to fit the fans, I used a compass with two hard points, one inserted into a hole I drilled in the center and the second to progressively scrape the styrene.

Sadly, the shroud, regardless of how accurate it is, hides all the nice work I put into the radiator face. Therefore, I may decide to modify the fan grilled covers to expose more of the details hidden by them.

I also worked on the rigid coolant lines, which pass thru the floor of the cargo box. Missing are the lines going to the oil cooler which I still need to fabricate.

D

although it would be cool to see the detail in the radiator it also adds something to it knowing its there but cant been seen...

almost like only the people who have read this thread will know about?

Matt
    If In Doubt Give It A Clout.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewHughes View Post
    although it would be cool to see the detail in the radiator it also adds something to it knowing its there but cant been seen...

almost like only the people who have read this thread will know about?

Matt
    Good point.

Update 17 – January 31, 2018:

Since the RC4WD 8274 winch I have on the D90 is amongst the most powerful available in the RC world (50lbs of dead lift capability) stopping the cable at the end in time to avoid damages can be tricky, therefore I made a flexible winch hook mount out of a piece of bike shifter cable sleeve, end cap, screw-in eyelet and colored heat shrink.

The flexible winch hook mount, a.k.a. “Donkey Stick” or “Winch Dildo” are fairly common on the winch challenge series of racing.

D

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast