sbg  

GCM Banner
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: D90 Winch Challenge Pickup

Quote Originally Posted by Prop Shaft View Post
    Very nice start. If I can give you some advice. Check the mesh on those axles well before applying any power what so ever. I blew the pinion gear to bits on the rear axle of my 110 build that is using those axles. It happened when i was testing out the electronics while driving it around on a dusty shop floor with out any real traction. I didn’t have the heavy 110 body mounted either. So yeah...
    Thanks for the tip, when I took the chassis/power-train apart to re-grease and Loctite it, I shimmed both axles, and yes they were pretty sloppy.

Another thing I did was Shoo-Goo the little e-clips that hold the universal joint pins on the drive shafts as I was told they tended to pop off during use.

Quote Originally Posted by valheru View Post
    Thanks for the tip, when I took the chassis/power-train apart to re-grease and Loctite it, I shimmed both axles, and yes they were pretty sloppy.

Another thing I did was Shoo-Goo the little e-clips that hold the universal joint pins on the drive shafts as I was told they tended to pop off during use.
    I wasn’t aware of that. I will have to do the same. Thx for the return tip lol. Incidentally I ordered replacement ring and pinion gears and it mentioned something about them being beefier then earlier versions. I guess its a known problem that they have addressed. *shrug*

Update 4 – December 23, 2017:

You know, that gut wrenching feeling of no turning back on the first stroke of the saw on a brand new RC hard body...

This morning, on the D90 Winch Challenge truck, I form fitted the grill to the monster RC4WD Warn 8274 winch.

I tried to keep the clearances as small as possible for that “it’s not going to fit“ look.

Nothing is glued yet, just dry fitted, I am pretty satisfied with the end result.

D

Update 5 – December 28, 2017

The fender flares were fitted and installed, the front corners of the body were cut to blend the fender flares better and give a better approach angle, and I started the planning for the install of the snorkel and the cage modifications I want to implement to protect both the snorkel and the body during roll-overs.

Today my new wheels arrived, they are RC4WD 1.9” Land Rover Defender Spectre edition (all black) and I mounted the Boom Racing Hustler M/T 1.9” x 4.45” tires on them.

And surprise, the shorter shocks I had on order also came in, I wanted to reduce the wheel gap and therefore I got me some 80mm GMade RSD emulsion type shocks, the stock shocks being 90mm Boom Racing shocks.

D

look promising, when it will be finished I wish to see it mudding

Quote Originally Posted by pera2008 View Post
    look promising, when it will be finished I wish to see it mudding
    She is almost done and I can't wait to try her out in the trails.

Sadly, this year winter in Ottawa, Canada just won't go away... We just had 3 days of snow, slush, 1" of freezing rain, sustained winds of 40km/h with gusts of 65, power shortages and this morning there was a 1/2" white crap on the ground... again!

But hey, global warming and disruptions of the weather patterns are a myth!

Update 6 – December 29, 2017:

Execution of the sun roof delete was started; first I made a styrene filler, than applied glazing putty.

In between the layers of glazing putty and sanding, I tinkered with the interior layout; I first removed the center console and patched the hole with styrene, then made a block-off plate to finish.

I then proceeded to delete the center console and fit a checkered plate to have a nice spot to mount a NOS tank, well within reach of the driver.

P.S. The driver of that truck has more issues than just keeping the inside of his vehicle clean!

D

Update 7 – January 6, 2018:

Spent a few evenings detailing the dash of my D90 pickup.

I am especially proud of the free hand painted labels below the HVAC controls.

D

a lot of cool details

Nice detail painting for sure
    SBG Junior Vice President RC4WDCASTLEGCM

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast