sbg  

RPP Roll out of Summer 2018
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: D90 Winch Challenge Pickup

Default D90 Winch Challenge Pickup

Day Zero – December 2, 2017:

This is the start date for my winter 2017 build/project that I named “D90 Winch Challenge Pickup”.

This project is 99% completed with many, many photos, therefore I will break it down to the major milestones that were achieved in order to lighten the read.

I hope you enjoy!

This build starts off with a decently sized order from Asia Tees which includes: a Boom Racing chassis, a Team Raffee D90 pickup hard body, a pre-made cage as a base to build on, Sandstorm KRAIT bead lock wheels, both 4.19” and 4.45” versions of the Boom Racing Hustler M/T 1.9” tires in the super sticky Snail Slime compound and lots of other goodies.

The inspiration for this build is this nice blue gem of a D90 pickup in the color “Pageant Blue” (Rover Group paint code 224 JNA) which was originally used by the British Motor Corporation starting in 1978 on Triumph cars.

D

Been following on Facebook Great build

Quote Originally Posted by kasey View Post
    Been following on Facebook Great build
    Thanks, I am currently uploading and consolidating all the FB post I did into a coherent build thread to post here and on other forums.

D

Update 2 – December 18, 2017:

I started working on project D90 Winch Challenge Pickup; this super nice CChand front bumper was mounted and a complete chassis tear down was performed to shim and grease all the gears, Loctite all the standard screws, Shoe Goo’ed the drive shaft e-clips to prevent them from falling off during use and added steering limiters to protect the universals.

I had to fabricate a custom winch mounting plate for the RC4WD Warn 8274 winch I recently ordered as the CChand bumper is not designed to accommodate the 8274 winch, but is made for the smaller winches available in the RC4WD catalogue. A bit of scale realism was added to the design with an aluminum checkered plate that hides all the mounting screws for a clean look.

The clearance with the body is about 1 mm without the grill, which is just enough to remove/install it without any issues. The grill will be trimmed later to accommodate the winch just like they do on the 1:1 trucks.

D

that winch is sick

Quote Originally Posted by pera2008 View Post
    that winch is sick
    Yup, she is a beast, I proactively replaced the cable for a 300lbs test version sold by LockedUp RC, because overkill...

do you will use trailbuster tires or genius?

Quote Originally Posted by pera2008 View Post
    do you will use trailbuster tires or genius?
    Neither, I have the following 2 sets of tires to play with, both in ultra-soft compound and 1.9" x 4.19" size; the Boom Racing Hustler M/TX and the RC4WD Goodyear MT/R.

The Trail Busters are a bit small and the compound is still the RC4WD soft (X3), not yet upgraded to super-soft (X2ss) or the latest ultra-soft (X2s3).

As for the Genius Sem Limites, there is something I don't like about the look of a completely smooth and "shiny" sidewall.

Update 3 – December 19, 2017:

Next on my list, which is something I’ve added to almost every crawler/scaler I own, is a rear sway bar. The Boom Racing chassis has no reservation for one, therefore a full custom solution will be designed and fabricated using aluminium plate, a sway bar kit from Vaterra (VTR334001) for the basic components, custom adjustable links and mount the whole kit to the rear electronics tray.

It’s amazing what you can fabricate with a 3/4HP drill press, a ball bearing chuck, a cross vice and quality tooling.

With the smallest bar installed (for now), you can clearly see the difference it makes on the rear axle versus the front one (both axles have the same shock setup/ride height).

Front:

Rear:

I also modified the rear bumper by mounting two shackles (see photo above), the final scale hardware being on order, and re-purposed a Traxxas blue silicone shock bump stop as a winch saver.

D

Very nice start. If I can give you some advice. Check the mesh on those axles well before applying any power what so ever. I blew the pinion gear to bits on the rear axle of my 110 build that is using those axles. It happened when i was testing out the electronics while driving it around on a dusty shop floor with out any real traction. I didn’t have the heavy 110 body mounted either. So yeah...

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast