sbg  

LockedUp RC

Thread: Axial Bomber by JUSTINART24

Default Axial Bomber by JUSTINART24

I haven't done a kit since my Axial XR10...so...here we go! The plan for this build will be something I can take out and get a lot of run time on and not have to worry about beating up my other scale builds. I maybe even hit a few WARCRC U4RC races as well and maybe even some hiking. I am lucky enough to leverage a lot of great info from the fellow WARCRC U4RC builders/drivers and will be putting that to good use.

This is the kit version so it comes with a lot of good upgrades right off the bat. Such as, shocks and links.

The cage was some what easy to put together and I really like the design of the side floor panels.

Cage is mostly together, just a few bits to add.

The transfer mission was pretty quick to assembly and the gears seem to be really nice as well. Also, jumping ahead, the diff gears are a new design compared to the older SCX10.1 kits I am used to, they look like they can handle some abuse.

Here is the view of the rear side of the transmission, I am really liking the gears, really beefy looking.

Here is a view of the front of the transmission.

Transmission is installed, along with the Brood 3300KV Vigor sensored brushless motor.

I also installed an Axial Machined Alum Adjustable Motor Mount (#AX31156), I really feel like this is a necessary upgrade because the stock plastic setup really feels weak.

I found some aluminum laying around so I decided to make some quick panels. I am thinking about painted the panels with a few graphics and applying some numbers and etc to them as well. I think a mixture of grey and orange might look cool.

The aluminum sheet is .025" in thickness and is pretty sturdy. If it gets some dents, well... I guess it will just add to the scale look.

To transfer the hole locations I used my Starrett center punch, if you don't have one you need to quit reading this and buy one...lol.

To cut the large straight sections I used my Eastwood 8 Inch Bench Shear(# #20198). I have had this shear for a while and it maybe the reason I decided to make panels, trying to get more seat time on it, to see what it's capable of.

It's a pretty cool shear, it even has a slot to cut solid rod, it does 3/16" just fine.

For some of the smaller cuts I was able to use some standard curved body trim scissors.

I used a normal kitchen scrub pad to give the panels an even finish in one direction.

I am know I am not re-inventing the wheel on creating panels like this but it was a fun quick Sunday project.

To get the sharp bends I just put the panels in my vise to get the bend I needed.

Here are a few pictures on what the Bomber is creating at, it's all wired up and I had a blast at the last WARCRC U4RC race. The Mamba X and Brood 3300KV Vigor sensored brushless motor is pretty smooth. I am getting this rig ready for the WARCRC "Scale Trail Run" this weekend. I am excited to see how it crawls, it seems to have a lot of low end control.

Was just viewing this on the instagram because I am a hipster.

Great job on the panels. You have a bright future in panel-banging.

I need one of those bench shears. What kind of cut does it leave on the 3/16" rod?
    SBG Junior Vice President RC4WDCASTLEGCM

Quote Originally Posted by Small Factory View Post
    Was just viewing this on the instagram because I am a hipster.
    Great job on the panels. You have a bright future in panel-banging.
    Thanks! Nothing special but a fun little project. I did a bite more sheet metal work on my old D90, that was pretty fun too. http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/1-9-s...ml#post3064280

Quote Originally Posted by pardonmyn00b View Post
    I need one of those bench shears. What kind of cut does it leave on the 3/16" rod?
    I will post some more info later but if I remember right it's not too bad, I will take plenty of pics for ya.