sbg  

GearHead

Thread: A Junky K5

Default A Junky K5

I’m a total noob with posting here and apologize for having no pictures from my build process. I started with a gen 1 Axial Honcho a few years ago. After I grew tired of that I got a Proline F-250 body, a set of RC4WD Baja Claws, I made a service truck bed, stretched the wheelbase, and grew tired of the janky rear end. To remedy that I cut down my service bed and attached the sides to the original Honcho truth bed. About Thanksgiving this year I set out to get a RC4WD Blazer body and to make it work. To do so I got the body itself, the GCM transmission relocation kit, an RC4WD transfer case, an EBay chassis mounted servo kit, a set of EBay leaf springs, a light kit, and a brush guard for the body. After all the parts arrived I got to work on the chassis. I soon realized that I had gotten the wrong type of cms kit and made my own servo mount out of some scrap sheet metal. The rest of the chassis was relatively simple considering I was working with whatever hardware I had laying around. Once I got to the body I had already gotten some inspiration. My grandpa, who had gotten me the truck, used to have a square body GMC Jimmy. All I knew about it wasn’t what I was told and based on faint memories. I chose Valspar pool party blue for my body main body color, a simple flat white for my roof, and a primer grey for my hood and tailgate. after I had done all of my painting, I got to work with some Tamiya weathering pigments. I made a wash out of them and applied so heavily and let it sit for a while. I then gently rubbed some of it off, resulting in what I think to be a pretty realistic effect. On the interior, I did a little bit of body color on the lower dash, added some details from an Axial interior details parts tree, a drink, a POW MIA flag as my headliner, and Jack as my pilot. [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
    I apologize, but these are the only two good pictures I have at the moment, and the second one is older than the first one I have since painted and installed my lenses

[IMG][/IMG[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
    A few more photos of the body and one of the chassis, showing my custom made sliders/ body mounts, and my Junfac driveshafts that I forgot to menition getting in the first post.

That's some nice junk you got there lol. Great K5 build friend. Can't wait to see more.

You're using the wrong Imageshack link. Use the "forum" code and the 1024x768 image size.

Then we can all appreciate the photos better!
    SBG OWNER YOUTUBE AXIAL AMBASSADOR GCM TEAM DRIVER VANQUISH KNIGHT CUSTOMS TEAM

Sorry, I think I got it figured out. I also apologize for the poor quality of photos. And thank you Rickleo, I can’t wait to see where it ends up!

Sweet dusty K5, sir! Liking the details and weathering job what I can see so far. I think that this would benefit from a light wash with something dark, like black or darker brown. Give it a shot!