sbg  

CKRC
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Locked UP's TRX-4

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    91

    Default Locked UP's TRX-4

    Picked this up in a deal locally so it was "pre-loved" a bit.

    Came with the Bronco body on it and ... I'm sorta digging it.



    Front & rear Wheelbases are off a hair.
    Will work on those.



    The interior looks like a Deadbolt.
    Needs a haircut...


    Also a big vast nothingness in the back of the interior.


    The front bumper hangs down really low.




    Turtle shot


    Naked



    Swapped servo that came with it.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Immediately flipped the front bumper mount.

    Not perfect but better.




    Dropped front body mount one hole too.
    Good enough for now.



    I'm thinking 1/4" front and rear to remove form the WB will be good.



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    91

    Default

    I actually had a 1:1 Bronco though and will be looking to make this a throwback of sorts.

    Funny that the color scheme is inverted!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Playing with the tire size a bit to figure out exactly what I'll need to tweak.







    And a few shots of things compressed a little.




    Side shots for reference


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Decided to go ahead and boil the tires off starting with the spare.

    The spare was factory glued and looked to be in the best shape.
    It also had less glue than the others.

    Trusty goodwill pots & pans...







    Took a total of 20 minutes per side and it came off fairly easily.

    The boiling makes the glue brittle so you can crack the tires off.
    It does still require some force but no tearing, no chemical, no burning vapors... so I call it a win.

    [SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

    Very slight bit of glue reside but it's easy to pick off with a thumbnail.










    Up next ... the other four...



    [SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

    The main 4 tires were a bit more of a bitch.

    Look like they had been previously removed and glued back on.
    I'm guessing the PO did this when he painted them.



    There was a lot more glue on them, so they required more boiling.
    the 4 that were glued back on...


    Compared to factory glue...



    The difference is obvious on the rims as well.



    Some spots I could not break off even with an hour of boiling.
    Ugh.



    If you look closely, you will also see the 4 that were glued again must have been putting off some sort of fumes form the glue because they have an odd white tint to them.


    Closeup of the white:


    Compared to stock glue job:

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    91

    Default

    So....



    And


    leads to


    And no more white:




    And next time I'll tell you why I sanded the faces off the rings.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    48

    Default

    Good tips. I guess I need to hit up the local thrift store.

    Wes

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    91

    Default

    I decided to add some new rings to the wheels.

    Fairly simple process that starts with sanding the original rings down to be a smooth surface.


    I removed enough material to get rid of the design, but still left some of the lip.
    When measured, my wheel bodies come to 25mm exactly.


    I could have cut them off entirely but didn't....yet.
    No particular reason.

    To get the bolt pattern, I just held an original SCX10 beadlock ring in place and took my time.






    You can use a LURC ring of course, I just had the SCX ring on hand for the first one and since it is already beat up a little, why not.



    The bolt pattern fits really well with the TRX4 stock wheels.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    91

    Default

    You could also drill out for a bunch of screws and make these "Easy Mount" ... but I opted to use some of our M2x1 screws instead.






    I think this looks killer!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Also working on lots of stuff for this thing.

    oops...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •