sbg  

RPP ProLine 2018

Thread: Lets talk tools...

Default Lets talk tools...

So lets talk tools. As someone who is fairly new to the hobby, very new/not yet dove in to scaling, I have most if not all the necessary assembly/disassembly/maintenance type tools. Different drivers and hex wrenches, etc etc... lets talk about what your top 5 used tools are for making these custom masterpieces you make. Maybe 10. I'm very curious to know what is needed, aside from talent and patience. And go

I am not sure if I am qualified to answer, but Nicholson Magicut file comes to my mind first. A dramel is quite useful for many purposes. And I use a drill press a lot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Hiroki

0. Bench vice
    1. Small pliers
    2. Smaller pliers
    3. Big file
    4. Round file
    5. Sandpapers
    6. Small fine file
    7. Marker, ruler, scissors
    8. Hammer
    9. Power drill with bits and tap'n'die set, small diameters
    10. Fein-type sanding/cutting machine
    11. Cheap Dremel copy (blew 3 original ones and never gonna get one again)
    12. Torch

One tool for one job. Multitools like Leatherman maybe good when camping but in this hobby there is no use for them.

When it comes to hex wrenches, these aluminium bodied "RC" tools are one of most horrible when it comes to ergonomy and finishing of the bit ends. Maybe there are good brands but usually they are just too big and hurt your hand while destroying your screws. I've picked some very good wrenches from brand Würth.

I never use power tools when screwing/tighting nuts or screws. In RC.

What kind of tools are used for the specialized body fabrication? How do most of you do your paint work? How about your custom metal work beyond the cutting, maybe bending?

Styrene tools:
    1: cutting blade. Utility knife or #11 X-acto blade
    2: Ruler/straight edge
    3: Various files
    4: Square
    5: Spring clamps

Bonus round:
    Rotary tool (Dremel)
    Palm sander
    Razor saw

P.S. I edited your title.
    SBG Junior Vice President RC4WDCASTLEGCM

What kind of metalwork? I admit I don't know much of anything about brazing/tube bending for making chassis, but I've managed some cold-working of aluminum to make a body, and there are very few tools needed:

.019, .010, and .005 aluminum sheet
    Wood forms (and a few basic woodworking tools to make them: a scroll saw and a drill press help a lot, but you can manage without them)

Tin snips
    Small short-bladed scissors (I use old curved-bladed Kyosho lexan body scissors)
    Ruler
    Sharpie
    Hammer (use sparingly!)
    Pin vise or small hand drill
    Various small blunt objects for pushing metal into forms (I've used spoons, the end of an X-Acto knife handle, sockets, and an old rolling pin, among other items)
    Needle-nose pliers
    Tiny files (check the jewelry-making section of craft stores)
    Double sided tape, Shoe Goo, and aluminum duct tape (used in various ways to hold it all together)

Put them all together, and after messing up more times than you can count, you can eventually come up with this:

For painting, I have a very high-tech spray booth...

But really, the most important "tools" I've found are patience, perseverance, and a willingness to scrap it and start over again if you're not happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    So lets talk tools. As someone who is fairly new to the hobby, very new/not yet dove in to scaling, I have most if not all the necessary assembly/disassembly/maintenance type tools. Different drivers and hex wrenches, etc etc... lets talk about what your top 5 used tools are for making these custom masterpieces you make. Maybe 10. I'm very curious to know what is needed, aside from talent and patience. And go
    Number one the most important tools are your hex drivers , the only one to buy in my opinion, is MIP buy the 3 main hex drivers for fourty dollars . Best money you'll spend , stripped screws suck !

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X103F using Tapatalk

I've been using an Exacto paper cutter for styrene up to .040. If you hold the piece steady, you can get a nice square cut. Looks like you might find a small anvil handy?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	paper-cutter.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	19937