sbg  

RPP VS4 2018
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: 1950's Retro Gas Station

First version of this beast is done.

Used it at the 5th Eifel Scale Challenge this weekend, marking the beginning of the Trophy course. All the Willies and Wendies stayed at home because I need to find a way to fix them to the platform so that they're not stolen.

Or maybe even make a completely new bridge (it's seperate from the towers) that doesn't have the walkway/platform, so that I can leave the stairs at home too...

Lots of ideas for more details now

You cant stop building? :p looks huge to carry but is very nice. the interchangeable panels are a neat idea

Quote Originally Posted by cooper View Post
    You cant stop building? :p looks huge to carry but is very nice. the interchangeable panels are a neat idea
    Yeah it's big. Have enough space to carry the thing and a herd of trucks, but the staircase is a bit delicate. Stage two will be to make a bridge for it that's more robust, so without a walkway and podium.

And lolz yes I can stop. About to actually, so that I can finish a balsa Spitfire and build a wooden frigate. I want to do more with wood.

Speaking of wood and stage 2 - been working on improving the breakover ramp. When you lack power tools it's mind-numbingly repetitive. Feel a bit live-die-repeat. But it will accomodate a wider variety of track widths, and be more robust.

And while I love the raw wood look, it's going to need paint if I want to use it outside in the wet.

/EDIT

Just jumped for one of these -

Yahoo
    Last edited by Fourth Protocol; 11-23-2018 at 02:41 AM. Reason: Grammar :-O

Love the work, but LOVE the mini table saw!!

Quote Originally Posted by ShopGTR View Post
    Love the work, but LOVE the mini table saw!!
    It arrived yesterday Speeds building up no end! And it's only 260mm wide

Here's the progress on the breakover ramp. The idea is to accomodate varying track widths and to generally clean and strengthen it up a bit.

The only time constraint I have now is the limited number of clamps. I can only glue and hold together one section at a time. So about two a day.

WOW!!

WOW!!
    Lol yeah

The track is done. Started widening the trestles but that's going to take at least another day.

Track is almost 2Ĺ metres long (longer than I thought).

It's exactly Ĺ a metre wide now (~1.7 x what it was).

Got the main (middle) trestle done.

But I need to redo it. It's so wide now that the center sags, which means building in vertical support in the middle. Which will be tricky because the vertical support cannot reach higher than the track or the trucks will get stuck.

Have a plan though...

May I repeat, WOW!

May I repeat, WOW!
    It takes patience. Beyond that copy from trestle designs

Got the main trestle redone. It now sports a third vertical support in the center. That lone clamp is holding down the last of the sway braces until the glue dries.

Here's a better view of the center support. The center post of the vertical support is height-adjustable, so it's never higher than the track. And won't foul axles as trucks drive over the ramp.

Slow going and once again December is here and yet again I'll be in three countries over two continents so not much is going to happen until mid-January.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast