sbg  

RPP 2 Fall 2017
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1950's Retro Gas Station

Default 1950's Retro Gas Station

Things have a funny way of coming about sometimes. For no good reason I decided to make a gas pump, which became two - one regular, one premium.

Around that time Ms. Protocol landed the job in Frankfurt she'd been after ever since the Brits voted for Brexit, and so I started thinking about how I might package my trucks up for the move. That led to the idea of making a stackable box for each, from plywood, that might double as a display case.

Inbetween all that the UK Scale Nationals happened, and Mark complained that there were no photo opportunities at all that weekend. He wasn't wrong, really. Too many leaves on the ground. Anyway, I had an idea of a Photo Opportunity In A Box ™ Pat. Pend. and so on.

Got myself some popsicle sticks (2,000 of them)...

...and together with some of that plywood I made this:

The whole thing disassembles into constituent parts without a single nail or screw. Here's all of it in a pile:

And here's how the corner joins work - take the lower wall, and just slide it down into the corner of the wall at the left:

It will get a roof, doors and windows. And LOADS more detail, as time goes on. Those barn doors are big enough for a Skeleton J2 Jeep (and then some). The roof will come off in parts so that the inside can double as my scale garage.

Neat thing is I can take it apart in 60 seconds and throw it in the trunk when going to a meet!

Smart thinking, and nice craftsmanship.

Gorgeous. You're probably the smartest tiny trucker I know. Good brain, better execution.
    SBG OWNER YOUTUBE AXIAL AMBASSADOR GCM TEAM DRIVER VANQUISH KNIGHT CUSTOMS TEAM

Fantastic FP!!
    I built a Toyota once

Quote Originally Posted by Small Factory View Post
    Smart thinking, and nice craftsmanship.
    Quote Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
    Gorgeous. You're probably the smartest tiny trucker I know. Good brain, better execution.
    Hey you guys know you're saying this to the rocket surgeon that Dremelled his face, right? Right?!? Appreciated, though

Quote Originally Posted by sgtbham View Post
    Fantastic FP!!
    Thanks big dog

Flat pack building. Clever!
    SBG Junior Vice President RC4WD Team Driver

Nice idea, might borrow this idea of joinery for my garage if I ever get to it. Genius really!!

Quote Originally Posted by pardonmyn00b View Post
    Flat pack building. Clever!
    IKEA FTW

Quote Originally Posted by Crawler Addict View Post
    Nice idea, might borrow this idea of joinery for my garage if I ever get to it. Genius really!!
    Thank you

Structure is done. Not happy with the roof support, but that's an easy fix - just not today. Photos outside would've been sweet but it's wet and I've yet to work out how I'm going to weatherproof the thing.

That support isn't glued in yet. It's straight, normally

The Freedlander is in there for show. I won't drive trucks under there - too easy to crash into the pumps.

Can start on all the detail now. First up as mentioned is fixing the roof. Then garage doors and windows. And then we'll see...

I said I can assemble it in 60 seconds. I lied. I can do it in 20.

That is fantastic. I want to build something similar but mine would be condemned by the city.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast