sbg  

GCM Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bullitt's Big T

I think that "Big T" is on good hands !
    RC4WD Team Driver - JsScale Team Driver

Quote Originally Posted by JBailey View Post
    Very nice work so far! The re-engineered front axle looks much better and more scale with the small kingpin bosses. The 1935 Ford style wire wheels came out great. I started a similar build a few years back, though mine was more modern style but, I traded it off for some 1:1 hot rod parts before I finished.

I'll be following along, keep up the great work!
    Thanks! The first thing I was looking for was some old school HPI MT 2.2 street tires and wheels for the rear and after a couple weeks of not finding them, this idea popped in my head. Old and new is always nice.

Quote Originally Posted by ShopGTR View Post
    Super cool. Excited to watch your progress.
    Thank you sir!

Quote Originally Posted by markbt73 View Post
    This is a really cool build! I love the mix of old-school handmade parts and high-tech CAD/3D printing. Very fun to watch.
    Thank you! Being a cad guy and 3D printing available, this one is surprising me on how well it's coming together. I know I could print the whole thing, but I'm pretty cheap, so I'll just print the tougher parts to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    I think that "Big T" is on good hands !

Thank you, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Harry

What a fun build to follow...great build / fab skills - looking forward to more updates!

I've bee super busy with work and I have not had a lot of time to think about the Big T. Here recently though, I've decided to knock the sawdust off and get some progress in. I picked up some 1/8 plywood and boxed the rear to make my rear spring hanger. Once again, the wood is just being used to prove the design and then I'll go back with metal...or sell it as is like I tend to do.

As cool as it may seem, nothing is working the way I want it to. I went back to the cad station and came up with a spring shackle mount/ shock mount/ rear suspension fixed arm mount. It will slip over the axle and bolt up to the 3 mounting holes on the stock axle. Once this is done, I should not have the heavy side to side swaying I'm currently getting. Then it will just be a matter of shackle length for my ride height.

That's all for now. Once the part is done, I'll post it and send off to get a couple printed.

Harry

very cool build, following!

Not sure how much experience you have with transverse leaf spring set-ups but, the spring needs to be under tension when mounting to the shackles and the shackles should sit at a 45 angle with the vehicle weight on the spring. I drew a crude drawing of what I mean. I'm also not sure it'll work with the shackle axle mount below the spring side like you currently have them.
    2017-12-21_11-46-04 by ratrodfanbobcat, on Flickr

Hope you don't take this wrong, just trying to help.

Quote Originally Posted by JBailey View Post
    Not sure how much experience you have with transverse leaf spring set-ups but, the spring needs to be under tension when mounting to the shackles and the shackles should sit at a 45 angle with the vehicle weight on the spring. I drew a crude drawing of what I mean. I'm also not sure it'll work with the shackle axle mount below the spring side like you currently have them.
    2017-12-21_11-46-04 by ratrodfanbobcat, on Flickr

Hope you don't take this wrong, just trying to help.

You sir. You there. Yes the cool cat looking around in his room with his finger pointed at his chest. That is great information I had no idea about. My new device will give me a shackle mount up top and I can easily push it out towards the wheel. Thank you again. After seeing your sketch, that explains it a bunch on how the axle will stay centered. You are top notch sir. I don't care what your wife says about you.

Thanks again,
    Harry

I mentioned in my thread on my chassis conversion (Off-road to On-road, Nitro to Electric, What the Heck Am I Doing?)that I've used the steel guides from windshield wiper blades for spring material. I've had some laying around for a while that is about 1/4" wide and some of the newer blades don't have guides as wide as that, but I still occasionally pull it out when I change them on one of our cars (if I think I can use it ). I'm learning a ton from all of you builders of these scratch built chassis. Looking forward to seeing your build as it develops.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12