sbg  

GearHead
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Building me an MB, Jerp that is.

Had an exhausting afternoon in the fabshop :)

Actually made good progress, as most of the electrics are now in, just need to connect a few things together.

Gear levers and pedals in (need to make some gear knobs)

got the winch esc in and hidden.

the hole is to allow access to the programing button.

The rest of the electrics are nicely hidden in the fuel tank.

The cage is now reinstalled for the (hopefully) last time, although I still need to bolt the body back down, but until the exhaust is done I shall leave it un-bolted.

More soon.

Got a little more done on the exhaust over the last couple of evenings.

Second manifold sorted.

Y pipe also complete.

view from underneath

Just need to sort the rear section and that will be another item off the list.

The body is finally bolted back down as well, so I can finish hooking up the electrics, so fingers crossed it should be pretty much done by the end of this weekend.

All the electrics are hooked up (some of them twice) and tested, I have hidden the wires as much as I can.

added a couple of hold downs for the hood.

Also nearly completed the exhaust just need to make one flange and a couple of hangers.

lastly some outdoor shots to show it's true colour.

The last thing I really want to get done before next weekend is to make something to cover the battery as it has to live in the rear tube it would also be nice to get some wipers on the screen but we shall see.

This had it's maiden run today @ the UK G6 recon. happy with way it performs and can see where I need to tweek a couple of things to improve it. I managed a very short video clip of it on a steepish rock climb.

It also got awarded the best engine bay by Brian in the 'show and shine'

Thanks as always for popping in to take a look.

The 1:1 that this is based on has some deep dish beadlock wheels on it, which I wanted to figure out how to replicate. First off I 3D printed some fake beadlock rings and painted them black and hilighted the bolt heads in silver. Next I purchased a set of RC4WD 1.55 5 Lug OEM steel wheels and stripped the paint off them, and added a fake valve stem. The beadlock ring was then glued to the rim of the deep section of each wheel and the whole lot was given a few coats of clear lacquer to protect it.

next all the hubs were machined on the lathe to reduce the offset (as well as using 4mm hexs).

The wheels were then built up using the scrambler tires and the fronts got a few wraps of lead solder to add abit of weight to the front end.

I hope this week to finish up the last few details such as the bikini top, fake brake discs, drive battery cover and installing the 3d printed battery under the hood.

More as it happens.

A few more details have been added during this week,

Bikini Top = done

battery cover = done

rear view mirror = done

Wipers = done

Brake disks = still to do

Scale tat = mostly done, might add a ammo can or something in the back and some junk in the glove box.

I also need to look into the ESC settings when I get 5 minutes, but I think I am calling this as complete, next I will have to give it a good run and get some better video and pictures of it.

Test run yesterday.

Good points, suspension works well and it's very stable on climbs and sidehills.

Bad points, snapped a lower shock mount off the rear axle and cooked the tamiya 380 sealed can motor due to the gearing being to tall and 3S battery. I already have a solution for the motor and just need to braze the mount back on so should be up and running by the end of the week.

Some pictures courtesy of Grubbybuz.

Thanks as ever for looking.

Looks excellent, I want to do a big tire Willy's now. Great job

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345