sbg  

RC4WD

Thread: Weathering chassis rails

Default Weathering chassis rails

Not sure if his is the right place for this question, but I'm finding sophisticated finishes doesn't like to stick on my Gelande II chassis rails and other metal parts.

What are you doing to prep them? Light sanding, primer, tape, spit, boogers, snake oil, etc. thanks.

That's odd. It sticks just fine to my G2. Were the chassis rails clean before applying? Maybe they were oily?
    SBG Junior Vice President RC4WD Team Manager

I've had a somewhat similar experience with my TF2. It sticks to some spots but it rubs off easily. I think it's just the powdercoating that it doesn't agree with, so maybe roughing it up with sandpaper would help.

Quote Originally Posted by DougJ View Post
    I've had a somewhat similar experience with my TF2. It sticks to some spots but it rubs off easily. I think it's just the powdercoating that it doesn't agree with, so maybe roughing it up with sandpaper would help.
    Exactly. That was my experience. Surface was cleaned with a milder form of motor cleaner spray. I'll give the sandpaper a go, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Karajabola View Post
    Exactly. That was my experience. Surface was cleaned with a milder form of motor cleaner spray. I'll give the sandpaper a go, thanks.
    I was going to test it myself, but I just looked at my Sophisticated Finishes and it's so old the iron paint has basically turned to goopy pudding. I'm curious how the sanding will work out for you.

I generally sand the chassis with about 320-400 grit, then use a flat black paint. Anything glossy is hard for a paint to stick too. Once it is a flat black then the sophisticated finishes paint should stick nicely.