sbg  

RPP Cross 2018
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Freestyle RC ZRD Build

Quote Originally Posted by luckland View Post
    Cool. It’s really a monster!
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by dagabba View Post
    Really awesome! Is it running now? Caught any sweet air yet?
    Thank you. Not actually running yet...still has shelf king status. That may change soon though.

Quote Originally Posted by ShopGTR View Post
    That's a bad ass truck. Well done. The purple and body details really brought it to life.
    Thank you, sir. Yeah, I was basically looking for a black and grey with a punch of color type vibe. It can't all be monotone.
    -Jeff
    Mod19RC Shapeways Store
    IG: @RexRacer19

A little update on the Impending Doom monster truck:

The ZRD chassis was designed around HPI Savage shocks, which is cool from a scale appearance and travel standpoint. However, most Savage stuff has been discontinued and it is getting harder to even find stock plastic shocks. The holy grail for these chassis are the HPI A712 aluminum shocks that were an upgrade to the stock shocks and kept the same dimensions. (non-big bore). I had a set on order from a supplier for months that kept promising they were going to come back in stock, but that never happened. Recently someone pointed me to an ebay seller that had some sets. Naturally, they were more spendy than before they were discontinued, but they were really needed on this chassis.

From halfway around the world, I now have a new set...

These quickly (ok it did take a while) got installed on the truck and boy what a difference.

I'm only running oil in one shock and using only one spring. The other shock gets a few drops of oil to keep the seals lubed up. The one spring setup was used on a couple of real trucks in the past, so this is pretty scale accurate.

Body back on, and looking ready to get loaded up for the next Monster Jam show. No mater how over the top these trucks are, I still think that the transport tires are the craziest part.

-Jeff
    Mod19RC Shapeways Store

Wow, those shocks are the bee's knees.

I say loose the big tires and run it with the transport tires.

Class-1 legal.

Yes, they are pretty cool shocks.

Class 1 it is!
    -Jeff
    Mod19RC Shapeways Store

Amazing looking truck! Nice job!

Thank you!
    -Jeff
    Mod19RC Shapeways Store

Hey Man! It’s Jimmy (Frankenstein) from the SAMM Facebook group... this truck is SO badass!

Quote Originally Posted by Akura2 View Post
    Hey Man! It’s Jimmy (Frankenstein) from the SAMM Facebook group... this truck is SO badass!
    Hey, Jimmy. Welcome to the SBG! Thanks for the kind words. You should post up some pics of the Frankenstein build. The MT section needs some more builds and people would be into it for sure.
    -Jeff
    Mod19RC Shapeways Store

Quote Originally Posted by RexRacer19 View Post
    Hey, Jimmy. Welcome to the SBG! Thanks for the kind words. You should post up some pics of the Frankenstein build. The MT section needs some more builds and people would be into it for sure.
    Done!!

I still need to design a set of those transport wheels/tires

A few new updates to the ZRD build:

I have been focusing on the shocks lately. The first update was for function and aesthetics. The stock spring cups on the HPI shocks were not the best looking parts in the world, they hid another scale detail I had planned on doing, and the kept the ride height higher than I wanted on the truck. So I designed some new spring cups that lower the ride height by about 3/8" and look a bit cleaner. Got them printed up on Shapeways of course.

Next up was a simple and cheap scale detail. 1:1 Monster trucks have some cool bump stops that ride on the shock shafts. These ended up being easy to recreate using some o-rings and washers sized to fit the 3mm shock shafts. Scale accurate and functional!

Rounding out the shock dress up package are some scale reservoirs. I tried to replicate the ones that are found on some 1:1 monster truck shocks. There are various styles, so it is easy to use a little artistic freedom to get the right look and have it be functional. I designed them to thread up onto the adjusting collar threads to hold them place avoiding some awkward non-scale clamp style hardware.

With a little bit of painting and detailing, I was able to match them up pretty well with the anodizing on the HPI shocks.

-Jeff
    Mod19RC Shapeways Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast