sbg  

GearHead
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Freestyle RC ZRD Build

One of the quirky but cool things about monster trucks is the transport tires that they use for when they are hauled down the road inside a regular semi. These beasts get reduced to overpowered tractors when being hauled between venues. :)

No scale MT build would be complete without a set of transport wheels and tires. I have seen a few 3D printed sets for sale in various places, but none of them looked that realistic to me, and they were plastic tires. So I set out to design my own set from scratch...

The wheels are a two piece design that are 2.2" in diameter. I used some M2 screws and nuts to both simulate the lugs and hold the two halves together. The planetary housing is what holds the wheel assembly on the axle and is simply hand tightened. A nut was embedded into the housing during the 3D printing process which worked really well. I wanted "rubber" tires, so I decided to try out some flexible filament for the printer. The results are pretty good, even though the flexible filament shows the layer lines a little more so than other filaments. The durability is unknown at this point, but they really do feel and squish like a rubber tire.

-Jeff
    Mod19RC Shapeways Store
    IG: @RexRacer19

Made a little more progress on the build recently. I made some lexan panels for the sides and driver's compartment using some .030" material.

To fit the overall theme of the truck, I decided to tint all the panels using Tamia Smoke for lexan. After that I added some contingency decals like what are typically found on the 1:1 trucks.

-Jeff
    Mod19RC Shapeways Store

It's been a while since I have worked on the ZRD or given any updates. Looks like I may get back to working on it a little more. Recently I pulled it into the new shop to get a couple of projects completed.

I added the second set of shocks all around. They are just the cheap standard Savage units for the time being until the nicer aluminum ones get back in stock. (I'm losing hope though...) I also got some different springs besides those horrid orange stock ones.

I also 3D printed some body mounts for it and installed them. That can only mean that it is getting a body soon...and it will finally have a name. I'm kind of getting excited about the "reveal".

-Jeff
    Mod19RC Shapeways Store

That is a killer build, digg'n your creativity and fab work.

Thank you, sir. It has been a fun project so far.
    -Jeff
    Mod19RC Shapeways Store

Looking forward to whats coming next...

This build has sat for many months now while I focused on other projects. I have had the wrapped body for quite a while, also. Recently, I got tired of it staring at me in an unfinished state and decided to put a little more time in it.

Solid axle monster trucks and racing is really popular right now in the RC world, and you can get a replica wrap of most any popular truck right now. I wanted something original both in name and theme. Much like wrestlers, the persona of a monster truck is what it is all about. With some ideas in my head and a name in mind, I turned to Jay Kendall of SOR Graphics to work up a custom wrap. This was outside of his normal style, but he took on the project and worked with me over several weeks to get it all worked out. In the end he produced a killer wrap that captured the post apocalyptic theme that I was looking for.

So here it is! Meet the "Impending Doom" monster truck!

Like most builds of this nature, they are never "done". I have plenty of chassis and interior details planned for the future as time allows. But for now, I am happy with it and it is an absolute BEAST.
    -Jeff
    Mod19RC Shapeways Store

Cool. Itís really a monster!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Hiroki

Really awesome! Is it running now? Caught any sweet air yet?

That's a bad ass truck. Well done. The purple and body details really brought it to life.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast