sbg  

GCM Banner

Thread: Motor/Gearing Suggestions

Default Motor/Gearing Suggestions

Hi, fellas. And gals. I am relearning the hobby after a 30+ year layoff. Especially when it comes to brushless/sensorless motors.

I'd like to put together a package for my Axial SCX 10 II Kit. I'd like to run it as a semi crawler, leaning more towards speed. I've been looking at brushless sensorless motors between 3100 KV - 3900 KV. Just wondering what type of gearing ratios I should use (differential, spur, pinion gear combos). I'm open to all suggestions.

I'm practically a newb again entering my twilight years. Please be kind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome back to the hobby!

An SCX10II is not exactly a great first choice for speed. You'll be really disappointed with all the traction roll. If you want a semi-crawler, grab yourself a Bomber. Your Kv choice is good. Gearing, I'll leave to other smarter people.

EDIT: Moved to the proper subforum.
    Last edited by imthatguy; 06-15-2017 at 10:47 AM.
    SBG OWNER YOUTUBE AXIAL AMBASSADOR GCM TEAM DRIVER VANQUISH KNIGHT CUSTOMS TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
    Welcome back to the hobby!

An SCX10II is not exactly a great first choice for speed. You'll be really disappointed with all the traction roll. If you want a semi-crawler, grab yourself a Bomber. Your Kv choice is good. Gearing, I'll leave to other smarter people.

EDIT: Moved to the proper subforum.
    Thanks for the response. Yeah, it's a little too late for the Bomber since I'm already committed to the SCX 10 II. I'm not looking to compete in either crawling or racing, but purely for backyard bashing purposes. So no low-end torque but something with a little more "pep". I've searched YouTube for various gearing combinations and now I need a beer to unwind. TMI. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome back to RC. As thatguy noted, the II isn't exactly a great speed rig, but you can give enough pep to generate a giggle or two in the backyard. We have two II kits in our collection. I have one running the Holmes Hobbies Puller Pro Stubby 3300 kv on 3S, and our little guy, Roo, has one running a Puller Pro Stubby 2700 on 3S. If I recall correctly, I think I dropped the pinion by a couple of teeth with the 3300 to keep motor temps down, but don't hold me to that. On my YouTube channel, I have a few videos showing my XJ-bodied II with the 3300 running in a range of conditions. Since you're just getting started back up, I'd suggest going with the 2700. On 3S, it provides a good combination of low-speed crawlability and more than enough top end to keep things interesting in the flats. Hope that helps!
    BowHouse RC, Helios RC, GCM #tinytruck Team

I know its an old thread but figure i throw this out there for reference so Personally i ran the twin hammers with trans locked in high with a 3650 4700 kv on 3s with 55t 32p slash 4x4 spur at 18t pinion on 3s it was wacko and ran hot would shred scale tires and do standing backflips it clocked 41 mph on a garman gps on 4s qith the hobby wing sc8 120 esc on 2s it was more driveable more of a controllable rock bouncer . On 3s and 2s it was a fun hill climber. Beach runner it ate front diffs and rear driveshafts. Also snapped a mip rear shaft. What ultimately worked great was a 3670 2200kv running 2s. With the 55t spur and. A 20 t pinion fun climber at that point ran cold was driveable with gobs of torque. Maybe hit 15mph. I had a robinson racing gen3 64t spur and clutch with a 17t on 3s and 3400kv set up i really liked. The gear calculator s on the the play store where great tuning tools but recommend the standard temp gun and gear till it runs under 140 degrees. That number is prob insaine on a crawler. As i did most of my runing for speed heat and tire sizes on a 2wd slash