sbg  

RC4WD
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 53

Thread: HPIYA RS-01 Skyline GTR

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    86

    Default

    Ugh. Setting up these brakes is proving to be quite difficult. Here's a pic of how I have it set up


    When I get the servo moving, it does not want to feed the wire through the sheath, instead it just bends and crumples up the wire. The wire I used is from a hardware store and is picture hanging wire.

    Now, there are a number of factors as to why it may not be working
    - the wire is too thick
    - the wire is too weak
    - the placement of the servo relative to the cable bracket is causing the wire to bend

    Here's a pic of the new wire and the wire that came with the kit


    It's much thicker, but the sheath I'm using is also thicker. When I tested it's movement inside the sheath, it seemed to move well.

    Anyway, I've ordered the "Sullivan's Golden-n-Cable Push Cable.032 w/Gold-N-Clevis 36" set" and intend on starting again, but would appreciate any advice in the mean time!

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    345

    Default

    If the alignment between cable and sheat is correct then it does look like the wire is too loose and soft. You could try to put some solder on the wire on the part that is not supported by the sheat. Just like when you prepare a wire for electrical solder, you heat the wite and let it suck in the solder. The wire that soaked the solder is much stiffer (wont be able to bend though so you might be better just waiting on the sullivan cable)

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    86

    Default

    Hmm interesting! Thanks for the idea. I'll wait and see how the Sullivan's cable goes first. I really hope the Sullivan's works out - I just took the car for it's first proper drive and it's quite nice to drive. Seems to handle well and runs smoothly. I'll upload a video soon.

    Frederik, thanks again for your help and input

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    86

    Default

    I thought it fitting to do a video like this, given the licence plate


  5. #45
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    345

    Default

    Haha awesome! Can't beat donuts in the garage for the first test run lol! I did exactly that with the Escort build, as soon as I got it running, except in my case the car was far from finished, duct tape holding the battery, driveshaft, a big clamp holding the steering... :)

    It's got a nice stance and seems to handle the donuts pretty good. Have you found some space to try higher speed stuff and see how it behaves?

    Loving the custom chassis design you made, the 4 link rear is cool. Nice job!

    Edit: for a less drastic effect than solder with the brakes cables, to make them stiffer, maybe a bit of CA glue on the cable where it is exposed? Of course first remove the cable from sheat to make sure the glue does not make its way in. Would have a similar effect but likely less stiff than solder.

    Glad I can help a little! I love this kind of builds with lots of custom mechanical and chassis work, I think this is where I can provide more help, more than say for details like paint and styrene etc... I am not very experimented on this end of things haha

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    86

    Default

    Thanks Frederik. I had a little drive in a straight line on the driveway but not for any great length or speed. It seemed relatively stable. Really keen to take it somewhere with a bit more space.

    Aha! Glue! Why didn't I think of that lol

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Smithfield, RI USA
    Posts
    1,234

    Default

    Enjoyed the video: great looking body hiding all that engineering you've done. How are the brakes now that you've run it a bit?

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    86

    Default

    Thanks mate. The brakes are not yet finished

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    66

    Default

    Hey mate...missed your last set of posts...! Been a bit busy so haven't even taken down my escort to look at the setup...lol...! Will try to get a look at it soon... Seems like the wire you bought is a bit too thick for the sheath...it's binding up that's why it's crumpling like that.... The Sullivan cable is the closest I could find to the size of the original cables....and it's designed for a push / pull application, so will work well.
    Video looks awesome! I think you have given me some inspiration to upgrade to brushless on mine...lol...! I still need to try out the channel mixing on mine as well...hopefully by the end of next week I will have a lot more time available to get some work done on my cars...!

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    86

    Default

    The Sullivan wire arrived and it is basically the same size as the wire I had but is considerably stronger. It resists bending and crumbling also. Anyway, got it all installed and waiting for glue to dry. I repositioned the servo too to make it in a similar positioned as it was intended to be in on the motorbike


    I also added some rubber to the battery mount to give it some grip and cushioning

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •