sbg  

GearHead
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Oshkosh FMTV

Default Oshkosh FMTV

Back in January or February when I started the Ford COE for the Truck Yeah! buildoff I aquired an airbrush and compressor. 6 weeks ago I started a new build with the intention of using it to learn how to air brush. I ran out of time (it was my only working comp truck, which I needed ready for the UK G6 last weekend), so didn't get to try the airbrush.

And so I need a new build to test the airbrush - enter the Oshkosh FMTV

The choice was made with care. First and foremost, I wanted an armoured body because it allows me to get away with thicker styrene, which makes for a stronger body, which means I can use (abuse?) it in local and national comps.

Second, I wanted another military build, because I can then paint it in winter camo which will go some way towards (ahem) camoflaging the inevitable white scratch marks the body will accumulate.

Third, it's another cab-over, which I'm becoming a huge fan of for their handling and climbing abilities.

Onto the running gear then. I have two GCM Racing Skeleton J2s. I stripped both down and used the best bits to make a new one for the Ford F15a CMP I just finished. The remaining bits have been assembled into this, which will sit beneath my Oshkosh:

My only real beef with it is that it was a starter kit so didn't come with the radio tray. However GCM Racing is awesome, and so a radio tray is on its way to London.

The Oshkosh will be of the M1081 LVAD (low-velocity air-drop) variety (yes, it's C-130 transportable). Mine will be 220mm wide, so almost exactly 1:11 scale. It's going to get a 275mm wheelbase (a bed like on the LVAD makes it really easy to change wheelbase to any alternative fact you choose to dream up), which is the same as the China JK body's.

Cabovers for the victory! And at that, the Skeleton chassis too. It's so versatile, crawls the heck out of everything and looks darn good doing it.

Carry on!
    SBG OWNER YOUTUBE AXIAL AMBASSADOR GCM TEAM DRIVER VANQUISH KNIGHT CUSTOMS TEAM

Heck yeah, I'm touring the Oshkosh factory on Monday. One of my all time favorites after the LVSR and HEMTT platforms. Looking forward to seeing this come together!

Nice! Contemplated this cab on the 6x6 and decided to go M1083 Stewart & Stevenson. Will be watching!

Quote Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
    Cabovers for the victory! And at that, the Skeleton chassis too. It's so versatile, crawls the heck out of everything and looks darn good doing it.

Carry on!
    Exactly wot you said right there!

Quote Originally Posted by onetruescooty View Post
    Heck yeah, I'm touring the Oshkosh factory on Monday. One of my all time favorites after the LVSR and HEMTT platforms. Looking forward to seeing this come together!
    I did a HEMTT last year (the Fast 5 heist truck), and will almost certianly do another, because it's just such a... truck-like-looking truck! Crazy envious of your factory tour!

Quote Originally Posted by Ty Campbell View Post
    Nice! Contemplated this cab on the 6x6 and decided to go M1083 Stewart & Stevenson. Will be watching!
    ...and the M1083 is actually a Steyr-Daimler-Puch 12M18. It's all rather incestuous but I like, because we get to be boys and build awesome trucks Absolutely love your M1083 by the way, and can't wait to see it with a roof! 3D print is becoming better and better...

More entertaining awesomeness! Looking forward to this build for sure!

This is gonna be a cracker! I loved the last cab-over build you did and this is sure to be just as cool!

Carry on Sir!
    TEAM RC4WD TEAM KNIGHT CUSTOMS SBG MODERATOR

if you need any up close pics, i work for the department of defense as a civilian and in the military so im CONSTANTLY working on them

Quote Originally Posted by joe122 View Post
    More entertaining awesomeness! Looking forward to this build for sure!
    Quote Originally Posted by delux View Post
    This is gonna be a cracker! I loved the last cab-over build you did and this is sure to be just as cool!

Carry on Sir!
    I have a good feeling about this one so let's hope so

Quote Originally Posted by neonsnow78 View Post
    if you need any up close pics, i work for the department of defense as a civilian and in the military so im CONSTANTLY working on them
    Hey that's awesome, thank you! Got some pretty detailed stuff of the outside, but struggling in a big way with the interior and the instrument panel - just can't find any reference photos. If you can provide any that'd be awesome. As long as it doesn't get you into trouble.

Already got a box made.

Already looking the part!

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast