sbg  

GCM Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hard Body K10 Chevy Short Box

Default Hard Body K10 Chevy Short Box

Hi all,

New to the SBG forum and excited about it - been poking around at some builds and I am amazed at the skills that people have. Very cool!

I currently own a Trail Finder 2 with a Blazer body on it:

and an Axial Bomber:

I have build a K10 Chevy Pickup using an RC4WD Blazer body kit, some styrene, and an SCX10 II chassis. I will upload some photos of my build in this thread. Here's the final product:

Thanks for looking!!!

Welcome Craig!
    SBG OWNER YOUTUBE AXIAL AMBASSADOR GCM TEAM DRIVER VANQUISH MAD MOOSE

Welcome to the SBG. Nice looking Chevys.(Chevies?)
    SBG Junior Vice President RC4WD Team Manager

Quote Originally Posted by pardonmyn00b View Post
    Welcome to the SBG. Nice looking Chevys.(Chevies?)
    It's pronounced Chebbies.
    SBG OWNER YOUTUBE AXIAL AMBASSADOR GCM TEAM DRIVER VANQUISH MAD MOOSE

Turks

Welcome, and I love a good square body, short bed story! Very well done! More build pics please!

Welcome, great stuff!

Default Hard Body K10 Chevy Short Box

Wow thanks for the nice welcome fellas. Much appreciated!

So originally I had planned on building a cab out of the RC4WD Blazer body kit and utilize a Vaterra rear cage with it to make a truggy. Once I sawed the body in half and lined up the cage, it just simply didn't work. Body lines didn't match up, the cage wouldn't sit where I wanted it to, nothing about it sold me on the idea.

So I ended up setting it aside for the time being and focused on finishing the cab, which was what I was most excited to try out. This was my first time working with styrene, so I was pretty nervous, and it's quite rough. But styrene sands well and was pretty forgiving that way so I pressed on. Thanks to @imthatguy for the advice on using MEK as a bonding agent.

Googled some photos of square body cabs and found the stamping pattern. Two larger stamps on the ends with 4 smaller ones between them. I printed out a photo, measured and marked it all out with a ruler, and used the end of a pen as a corner radius marker. Then proceeded to cut it out with my trusty X-acto knife

Once it was cut out, I simply grabbed another piece of styrene and bonded it to the back. This created the depth look as well as some structural support, as the piece was flimsy as it was, but got much worse once all the pieces were cut out. It may not look like much, but I was stoked at this point with how it was coming along.

And finally bonded to the body. I chose to bond it to the "back" of the cab versus "between" the sides of the body if you know what I mean. Not sure why, just went that way with it. I think the other way would have been more structurally sound, but is what it is. I didn't want to change anything on the SCX10 II chassis as they're so well balanced, so I left the transmission where it was and had to trim around it a bit. No big deal.

You should go to the offload section and start a specific build thread for the Chevy...

I thought that's what this one was? If not, can a mod point me in the right direction?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast