sbg  

RPP 2

Thread: Ascending Portal Jeep thing.

Default Ascending Portal Jeep thing.

In adherence to the continuing theme in the Scale Fab Shop at the moment, I decided to start another new project rather than working on one of the existing ones

I acquired a Vaterra Ascender kit the other week, and today I intended to start putting it together however I managed to get as far unpacking the front axle when I got side tracked by the last set of 3Racing SCX10 portals I had laying about and seeing if I can make them fit

The result at the end of today can be seen below, still needs a bit of fettling but really happy with the result

I can still max out the CV which should lead to a pretty decent steering angle ::thumb::

Overall I think the portal boxes are going to add about 10mm width to a stock casing, which is easy to loose by narrowing the casing.

Going to try and get the other side done tomorrow evening.

Overall I am going to use the stock chassis and move the motor and gearbox up front and put a transfer case in the middle. Body wise I am probably going to go with a Chinese jeep, wheel/tyre/foam combo will be the SSD wheels with Pitbull's and Crawler innovation foams shown in the pictures above.

That's it for today, more soon.

Blimey. That's an interesting development sir. I applaud you not finishing another project.
    SBG OWNER YOUTUBE AXIAL AMBASSADOR GCM TEAM DRIVER VANQUISH MAD MOOSE

That's some fine fettling
    SBG Junior Vice President RC4WD Team Manager

Quote Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
    Blimey. That's an interesting development sir. I applaud you not finishing another project.
    Quote Originally Posted by pardonmyn00b View Post
    That's some fine fettling
    Thanks chaps, this build will hopefully get me back into the groove so I can finish some of the others too.

Well I have been able to grab a few minutes here and there and made some progress on this.

Got the other end of the front axle done and then narrowed the whole casing by 20mm.

New panhard mount on the chassis.

Also made some metal shock hoops and got the front axle mounted up.

decided to use a 1/16 traxxas gearbox with a 400 size cobalt motor so that has been mounted too

Rear links and shock hoops are also done and installed, I made a custom rear truss, so all the rear needs is the portal boxes installing.

Next up rested the shell on and roughly laid out the interior, The seats are 3d printed spare will be living roughly here, once I get the cage done.

This should be about the ride height.

More as I have something to report.

Loving it Pete, nice and aggressive with just the right amount of Attryde built into it.
    SBG OWNER YOUTUBE AXIAL AMBASSADOR GCM TEAM DRIVER VANQUISH MAD MOOSE

"Overall I'm using the stock chassis"
    If I had a dollar every time I've said THAT!! Another incredible build!

Another Jeep that is helping me to understand...

These Ascenders seem to have great potential. More please...