sbg  

GCM Banner
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: TRUCK YEAH!!! I have no clue what its going to be... Wrencher's build.

Default TRUCK YEAH!!! I have no clue what its going to be... Wrencher's build.

I really wanted to get in on this build off. I do have 3 or 4 candidates for what I am going to build. just haven't picked it yet. What I did find was this trashed old Honcho. Did a bit of trading to of stuff to get it. Typical Axial it has been through hell and back, beat to death six ways from Sunday but the parts I need are still working and in good shape. Axles frame and trans is all I will probably use.

My build thread is going to start with a tear apart thread first LOL

Gotta start somewhere lol will follow ur dismantled thread

Get at it!

Now that the Jeep is all buttoned up I can really dive into this build. Truck Yeah!!!!!

first step was to strip it down to the frame.

My workshop has finally hired an official test driver. he is also going to hang out while the rigs get built to see how everything works and perform quality control checks. He is the pretty quiet but you guys may know his cousin the Stig. Yup that's right this is the Stigs redneck rock crawling cousin. His name is Pole.

I grabbed an old box and just started throwing the bits and pieces in.

Just so you guys all know. If you are going to drive your tiny trucks in mud and water there is some extra maintenance required......

these pins had to be hammered out with a pin punch and hammer.

the mud acts like sand paper on the soft metal gears. no broken or missing teeth but the teeth are so sharp you could shave with them.

lots of mud. it was in everything.

I pulled out my bin of extra axle parts. I think I have enough to make these axles almost new again.

found a brand new tranny in my trans box.

also found a new tcase and some driveshaft in there as well.

I am also going to try to clean and reuse some of the bearings. I hate wasting stuff. How do I clean them. First up is to soak them in some auto trans fluid. this stuff is amazing. all the good chemical additives you could want. rust inhibitors and lots of cleaning agents. The best stuff is old ford type F. it is getting hard to find. this is just mercon. soak for a day or 2 then blow them out with air. after that I soak them in some good ole 80/90 gear oil. the trans oil is also a good skin softener. it does smell a bit. I really enjoy the color.

I started sorting out some of the parts. these are going in the auxiliary parts bin. if anyone needs something from here it will be on the curb at my house Thursday morning.

Last edited by Wrencher; 03-11-2017 at 10:23 PM.

This thing is clean. Hard to believe it's used...

Those are some seriously nasty axles. Yikes.

Rust.. Dirt.. oh truck yeah so delicious!

Great but dirty start to this build lol. Is the transfer case you're using for this build any good? I have the exact same case I'm planning on using for my build and I was wondering if it'll hold up to the punishment.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Wow that thing had a hard life!

It's certainly cleaning up ok though.
    TEAM RC4WD TEAM KNIGHT CUSTOMS SBG MODERATOR

yup she was run hard and put away wet. literally. Anyways after a week of soaking the bearings all became smooth again. I managed to save them all. some new housings and some Axial aluminum goodies, the axles are like brand new again. The frame took a trip through the dishwasher and damn it came out clean. Wife didn't even notice it was in there LOL.

I mocked up the chassis real quick just to get building. most of what you see is temporary.

After a bunch of surfing and looking at pics I finally decided on a body. Its going to be a 49 Willy's with a twist. here are some pics of the cab being built. the twist will come later.

Lots more to do. I am fairly happy with how it is coming out. this is the first time I have done a scratch build with curves and contours. It was a bit intimidating at first, but after looking around on the SBG and following other builders examples it is really going well.

Chris

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast