sbg  

RPP Winter Vaterra
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: GCM Builds a Raffee/CMAX D110

Default GCM Builds a Raffee/CMAX D110

Hey! I'm starting a thread here for this amazing truck:

This very large and amazing truck started out as a brainchild between Chris at GCM and Tim at VS_Customs, one building the bottom, one building the top.

The obvious choice for a coil bucket suspension and scale driveline was the GCM CMAX chassis, in the Ultimate Leaf Spring variety: http://gcmracing.ca/viewitem.php?productid=337

This chassis allows superior wheel base adjustment, and of course the now famous LRT2 transfer case in the scale trans driveline, allowing a super great scale truck build, and some important performance gains at the same time. Why compromise?

In cases like this, Non-RTR builds, the first question that comes to mind is "How will I get the battery and electronics and body mounted on this chassis?" The answer comes from the GCM Shapeways store linked here: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/gcmr...ccessories&s=0

This little online shop at Shapeways, in this CMAX Accessories section shows off some of the simple bolt on solutions to this question: there's battery trays, side tray and mounts, bumper mounts, etc, for different truck setups, and the list is growing regularily. One of the newest setups is this Raffee D110 setup.

This particular setup has very little space under the full Raffee body and floor, except in the rear of the vehicle. There's enough room in the rear area to make a flip down battery tray, so basically I can hardly imagine why I'd have to remove the body from the frame after it's all together.

You can see below how this rear battery tray item fits into the body contours to make some inner fender closure, and battery protection as well.

Check out this picture below:

You can imagine that a chassis made for several trucks or custom builds won't fit perfectly everywhere.. and with the addition of this specific body having a super deep floor (which is great!) there were 2 floor mods we had to do in order to get the 2 items to fit well together. First off, the front floor pans right in the corners of the floor/tunnel joint needed to be removed, thanks to the front frame rails taking up that space. The frame in the rear also interfered with the all-flat floor of the rear seat area in the D110. There's 2 simple solutions for this on the visual side, front floor mats, and this rear cover, also from Shapeways at the GCM store.

This white cover will consume about 1/2 the height of the rear seat riser, and it's made to mimic the front console cup holders, so it blends in nicely. It also slips really nicely into the ribs in the rear floor for a super good fit. Glue is required, but that's easy when it's so clean.

...and now all painted up to match. It looks like it's part of the original design.

The rest of the build came from the GCM shelves. We used a Holmes 55t motor, our fav Helios-RC batteries, a HobbyWing 1060 esc, and our fav BlueBird 632mg servos. Nothing radical here in the drivetrain, and it won't lack power or crawl control. We run this through our TM8 axle housings from here: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/gcmr...e+Housings&s=0
    and the matching Axle Hardware kits from here: http://gcmracing.ca/viewitem.php?productid=381
    These items use our Link kit for the long wheelbase CMAX as well as the TM8 steering kit, and of course coil bucket and damper setups all around.

The rims are the GCM Detroit BL wheel in 1.9 size, and the tire is the venerable PitBull RC PBX A/T Hardcore tire, with a sidewall spec of 4.05 high. We narrowed the foams in these so they don't sidewall bulge for no reason, and we love this look on the truck!

Now, lets turn our attention to the top section, the hard and professional work of Tim at VS-Customs! I'm really privileged to live somewhat close to Tim, and we have done a couple of projects together now with great results! (Tim also did the rust weathering on my 49 Chevy panel truck HERE)

This thing is the Raffee D110 Wagon body kit. There's tons of parts, super high quality plastic work, and I'm guessing the best fitment of any kit I've seen to date. Everything just clicks together like a GCM Tcase! haha These are amazing body kits. In the hands of an expert painter like Tim, it's going to be a winner.

And... no.. I had no idea what he was doing for a paint scheme.. not until the day these pics were taken! When Tim and I started chatting about this truck setup and the amazing quality that was in hand, I made mention of the style of truck I was interested in seeing at the shop, and he told me right away he had some ideas! I love this sort of thing. Seeing something like this come together straight out of the creativity of a painter is really a special surprise, and I love it!

Aside from the matte finish and rusty goodness Tim added to this body, the kit itself comes with some superior features and details.

From headlight reflectors, to signal markers, to trim lines, and epic perfect parts fitment, there's no compromises with this thing. It's got 5 doors and an opening hood! Crazy.

Inside the truck there's several color shades of dark to offset the red and dirty seating. Tim used shades of black and grey as well as textures to accent the details in the body kit, but keep the theme of the old rig alive, even on the inside. He also added his VS_Customs CB radio to make it personal.

With the lid married to the chassis, there's little room for dirt and trail junk to get tangled up. The side mounts and trays fully cover over the body kit's interior floors, and provide a nice solid side mounting to keep it all aligned and fitting tight. The rear tray system with the battery door keeps all the electrics hidden and protected, but very easily accessed from the bottom.

I've got a few things left to finish up here, like properly mounting my shocks, adding drive shafts, wiring a few simple lights, and putting together my bumpers. ON that subject.... the design tools came out and I've finally come up with a couple bumper designs I am happy with for this truck. No, it's not going to get a big expedition bumper, or winch setup, but it's going to need some protection front and rear.

Out back, I noticed no one in there right mind can actually get up into this truck.. the door swings open, and you look inside, and then close the door, I guess! I wanted a simple bumper base that I can add a couple of bolt-on D rings or such to it, and in my mind it needed a rear step, so this is what I came up with so far (see below). The bumper also captures the 3 body mounting holes in the back of the kit under the rear floor and back wall, so the bumper will also bring another level of body strength and mounting options.

The front got a very simple sheet metal bumper look, with a couple of built in fog light lens holes, as well as a top hook mount. The 4 hole wonders you see on the sides are a set of vents or light sockets I added, which are actually very small and sit under the current light bezel metalwork on the D110. Behind these vents stands another wall on either side, and this will allow a proper body 'capture' without hardware in the front, so the roll overs and other side impacts can be shared by the bumper structure instead of just the body alone. Of course, I'm going to print these in Black material so they should blend in nicely with the rest of the look.

That's where I'm at so far, now waiting for the bumpers to come in to finish it up.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast