sbg  

RPP Axial 2018
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Adventures of an SAS'd Jeep Liberty

Default Adventures of an SAS'd Jeep Liberty

I have basically been working on this build off and on since 2013, but during that time I failed to do a build thread either here or on RCC. So, this thread will be a journal of both outings and further modifications/additions (Jeeps are never done). I did take a pretty good amount of pictures during the build, so I can post a few of those here too.

Meat and Potatoes- A quick build run down.
    This is a 1.55 Solid Axle Swapped (SAS) Jeep Liberty, Gen 1 KJ to be specific.

The body is a Fast Lane RC Jeep Liberty hardbody from many years ago. I got really lucky and scored it mint new in box from eBay. Took a long time to find it but it was certainly worth it as I had a clean slate to work with.

The rolling chassis comprises a shortened JC Auto Designs Karnage SCX10 Chassis rails, Vader delrin skid and built Axial trans. The axles are built and modded ECX Temper units with OD gear in the front and an array of Billet Works Designs and genuine Losi MRC parts.

Armor consists of custom Wertymade bumpers and sliders.

For electronics, I kept it simple with AE2, CC BEC, Integy 45t and a soon to be upgraded Tactic servo. Running 2200 3s packs.

The goal was to keep it reasonably proportional to its 1:1 counterpart, so that is why I used the much narrower ECX axles as opposed to the common SCX axles.

The 1:1 I used for reference.

It was a mad rush to finish the first major stage of the build back in December for the Birthday Bash G6, but I got it done and had a blast running the tiny tire class. Ever since, I cant stop tinkering with it.

Enough yapping, here are some random pics to get this going.

Very nice build, it looks awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice indeed sir, thank you for sharing. Nobodybgave the Liberty much credit as a true Jeep, but we had two over the years and I always loved it. SAS seems to make it better.
    SBG OWNER YOUTUBE AXIAL AMBASSADOR GCM TEAM DRIVER VANQUISH KNIGHT CUSTOMS TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by jmz6 View Post
    Very nice build, it looks awesome
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
    Very nice indeed sir, thank you for sharing. Nobodybgave the Liberty much credit as a true Jeep, but we had two over the years and I always loved it. SAS seems to make it better.
    Thanks! I own a 1:1 KJ myself and so it was only natural for me do a scale build. Agreed, it'll always be an oddball Jeep but they can be very capable off road with just a couple of essential mods.

The mini-me got some SSD steel wheels last night. Liking these a lot better.

That's certainly an under-utilized body. What scale does it measure in at?

Quote Originally Posted by Small Factory View Post
    That's certainly an under-utilized body. What scale does it measure in at?
    Based on wheelbase its pretty close to 10th scale. There are one or two other liberty hardbodys but this seems to be the most proportional out of all of them.

Mocking up CMS. Front end will look much better when its done.

ECX axles are gone!

Currently in the process of narrowing and swapping in a set of custom narrowed SCX10.2 axles. To get the track width where I wanted, I had to run far too wide SLW hubs and the weak axles just wern't having it. The new narrowed 10.2 axles are just under 7" hex to hex and I am happily back down to 225 hubs all the way around (not to mention an overall stronger axle). Need to pick up a few more parts before I can cut the rear housing down and get these functional.

New wheels are scaled out SSD steelies with LURC acorns and VP XD hub covers

Looking forward to getting this on the trails again.

Too cool

The last shot there in the garage is very cool, great build!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast